opinion please

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sharron, Aug 8, 2011.

1. sharron

sharron Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    ok, heres the problem, i bought six lavender orpington chicks a couple of weeks ago,(not cheap) thinking i would like the color, i like the adult pictures i see on ebay, anyway to me they're butt ugly. nothing at all like the parents, now should i sell the chicks to a friend for a little less than i paid and let him feed them until they grow out and i see if i like the adult colors or do it myself? he will give me eggs if i decide i like the adults once they start laying, if i sell them to him i can get some eggs that i might be able to hatch of the lemon barred orpingtons.
    so what do you think?

2. turney31

turney31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    palestine texas
    Lots of chicks change colors frequently...go through ugly stages. If it were me I would raise the chicks then decide whether or not I like them.

3. sharron

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    thanks,
    i have bantam cochins, bcm's and light and coro sussex's, all of them were cute little chicks, even the gawky stage but there is something in what you say about them outgrowing the ugly stage
    nice thing about it , i can think on it for a few days, i know my friend won't change his mind, he even came to see them yesterday with money in pocket lol:lau and he likes them alot

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I would be patient. They all go through their "ugly duckling" stage.....Just wait, and you will be pleased, I think! They change SOOOO MUCH as they grow!

At least wait, so you don't sell them to a friend and then later think, "Oh, I wish I would have kept them.....!"

Sharon (With one "r")

5. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Even the most well-bred chick will have an ugly stage. You won't see their full glory until a year or so.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Give them time, lol, I love the awkward stage! [​IMG]

Keep in mind though, that pictures on ebay are often stolen from a top breeder's website. There are several BYCers who have had pics stolen right off of BYC! Usually, the eggs hatch out inferior quality birds, not like the pics at all. [​IMG]

7. sharron

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    to be honest, i was kinda leaning on keeping them but i also want the lemon barred orpingtons, course if i ask nice, my husband will let me have them both, he just made me two more chicken tractors, well, one finished, the other one still needs the coop but hey, one a weekend ain't bad.

8. sharron

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    Quote:thats so true, but the man i bought the chicks from, he lives not to far from greenfirefarms and thats where he got his from, i bought a coronation roo from him last year and he does have nice stock
    i did buy some eggs off ebay, again, parents came from greenfirefarms, and out of the seven eggs i bought, i had three hatch( i think good hatch for shipping) so i have a total of nine of the lav's, three two weeks old and the started chicks are about nine weeks old
    thanks for all the input

9. I think you should just send them all to me free of charge and let me raise them! then you can go get whatever kind you want and will know that they have loving spoiled rotten home!!!!!! [​IMG]

10. sharron

May 12, 2010
    scottdale pa
    Quote:lol. thats what my friend usually feels, but this time, he actually came up with some money so i know he really, really wants them bad

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by