Opinion? Which breed is a better backyard duck?

1) definetley!! lol their beautiful and good eatin and good for eggs use and very good backyard pets becuase there sweet and beautiful!!
thumbsup.gif

pekinduck<3er :

1) definetley!! lol their beautiful and good eatin and good for eggs use and very good backyard pets becuase there sweet and beautiful!!
thumbsup.gif

thanks for sharing! i appreciate it
smile.png

I have "2" and "3". They are pretty docile and not too timid (for ducks), good foragers, and lay big eggs.

Cayugas and Swedish are pretty similar types of ducks (in terms of size, behaviour and eggs). You can't go wrong with either, IMO
smile.png

I LOOOOVE Cayugas! They are sweet gentle, quiet, good foragers, not as messy, can become easily tame, sometimes lay black eggs, and cayugas crossed with pekins make pretty babies
smile.png
GET CAYUGAS!

I have swedish, and a cayuga. And I love them both, but I love my swedish just a tid bit more. Plus, yes cayugas are quiet, but when mine does quack it is the most annoying noise ever compared to my other ducks. I cant stand it :p

My swedish is a great layer. She lays nice big eggs all spring and summer, more then my chickens in a year easily. They don't like being touched but are more then happy to come running up to you and eat out of your hand. They will climb all over you to get to peas just dont try and touch them.
idunno.gif
Just the way they are. On the down side the female is a LOUD mouth. She quacks at everything and I mean everything. You walk outside and quack, the crickets get loud at night and she quacks at them, a bird flies over and quack, the worst one is when our alarm clock goes off at 4:45am she is under our window QUACKING.
th.gif

They are great foragers so watch out for any plants that you DO like.

All 3 of those are beautiful.

I have Swedish from two different sources., One group is badly mismarked and very high strung. The other batch are lovely and very annoyingly curious. It's almost impossible to clean their brooder because they are crawling all over my arms and sitting on the trays that I am trying to remove from the brooder. They jump on the paper towels and take a ride as I am trying to spread them out.

There should be no difference between Black and Blue Swedish. They are the same ducks hatched in the same clutch, just a different color.

All ducks are nice. There is going to be a lot of difference in the personalities based upon who the breeder was and whether or not they breed for temperament.

Cayugas are great ducks...some are loud...some are not. My Cayugas all faithfully give me an egg every day! Never had Swedish...

Back
Top Bottom