1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions about chicken varieties? I'm making an order...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rachel, May 12, 2008.

1. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I am looking for breeds that will be friendly, quiet and preferably good layers. I currently have 3 year old birds: a blue andalusian, an easter egger and a RIR. I love the first two, but I often want to strangle the RIR and she makes lots of LOUD noise (including a crow imitation) whenever anyone else is in the nest boxes. I want to avoid getting another hen like that if at all possible.
    Here is my list so far, but I need to cut the list in about half:

1 Australorp
    1 Buff-laced polish
    1 Delaware
    2 Easter Eggers (I LOVE those eggs!)
    1 Golden-Laced polish
    3 Salmon Faverolles
    1 Silver-Laced Wyandotte

The reason I'm getting the multiples of the EE's and the Faverolles is because the EE's I've had have been good tempered with great eggs and the faverolles seem like great birds (with a LONG waiting list) and I hear they have a little high chick mortality rate, and I want to be sure to have at least 2 that survive.
    What are your thoughts??

2. chickenwoods

chickenwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    **||OKLAHOMA||**
    I just want to say not to discriminate agianst the RIR and white leghorns!! I have had the best of luck with them.
    My RIR are just as sweet as my Buff orp,To me(cant say the same for the other chickens)..

and my SLW is not friendly.
    and my austrolorp doesnt want anything to do with me.

Cant say about the rest do not own any.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Polish, Leghorns, Andalusians and Anconas have the about the same temperment...Flighty and not wanting much to do with you.

Your heavy breeds seem to be more people-chickens.

I like EE's only because they're all so different...

4. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't care so much about how they feel about me (of course it's better if they like me), I want them to be nice to each other! My RIR is the only one that will let me pick her up, but she's obnoxious to the other hens and her and the andalusian peck the EE. My thought was trying to get a bunch of hens that are either commonly docile and/or generally low in the pecking order. If they're all at the bottom maybe the pecking will be more spread out or uncommon?

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I've got three SLWs in my original flock. I recently lost Lacy to an egg issue. Lacy was bossy around the feeder but generally a sweet girl. Her two sisters, Lorelei and Violet, are also very sweet girls. Lorelei will fuss on occasion with my Buff Orp Sunny (they had a tussle when Sunny was broody and neither has forgotten, LOL) but she and Vi are awesome girls, all excellent layers till recently when Lorelei has developed what I believe is the same issue as Lacy had. They are not the most cuddly girls, although they'll squat when I call their names and let me pick them up. They don't like to be held for long periods like some of my other girls, my blue Ameraucana, Charlotte, in particular.
    Lacy was silent when she laid an egg, but Violet will do a loud brief cackle. She will, however, caterwaul when someone else is on the nest on occasion. Lorelei is very quiet as well. My overall experience with them is very positive.

6. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    I would like to have a simple order like that but what if you only order 1 and get a roo. Then what? Even if they replace it the chicken won't have a place in the existing flock. I really want to order a few specific breeds.

7. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a SLW and an Australorp in my mixed layer flock. They are both very docile with the other chickens and I've never had any problems with either of them creating disturbances in the flock. They are also both very quiet, especially compared to my EE's. The SLW is not exceptionally friendly. The Australorp loves to be held and massaged etc.

Hope this helps,

Lori

8. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I have found EE's to be very flighty & not nice to flock

Austrolorp are docile but, don't want anything to do with me
    (just sold my year olds & got 3 more babbies so will will see!)

I don't mind them not liking to be picked up but, they need to at least put up with it because I like to completely check them out once a month: I have seen friends have chickens with sores ((going into bone)) or bugs they didn't know about! They use DE & do everything your suppose to but, never hold them so they don't know!

I have had the best luck with RIR (Brahmas & Cochins)

Joanne

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2008
  9. Nichole77

Nichole77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2007
    Arizona
    I pm'ed you about splitting an order. My EE's are great. i only have 2 and I got them from Pratts in Glendale. One lays large green eggs and isn't super friendly but is not mean or feral in any way. My other one is the sweetest hen. her eggs are medium and beige. But she love attention and will fly up to your shoulder and sit there.

10. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I love Polish. I have a half polish chickie. They are so cute. I got a red sex link and she is much sweeter than my RIR. I think your list looks good. I wouldn't be able to cut it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by