1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions about keeping ducks....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jolyn, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    We don't have a pond on our property. Is it cruel to keep ducks without a pond? What if i had a little kiddy pool for them? I know someone who has a few ducks that they are needing to find homes for in a month or so. I told her i would take them but i don't have the pond set up.

Do you have ducks and no pond? I'd love to see your set up.

Thanks for any info,
    Jodie

2. dickiebird

dickiebird Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2007
    Cedar Hill MO
    We use plastic kiddie pools, no pics, just picture a couple of 3 or 4 foot dia. Wal Mart pools in my side yard.

3. DrakeMaiden

DrakeMaiden Overrun with Drakes

Jun 8, 2007
    Kitsap County, WA
    We have a pond and really enjoy seeing them play around in it, however they seem perfectly happy with a kiddie pool. In fact, I almost suspect that what they love the most is fresh water. They are more likely to get their pool water completely switched out than the pond. I don't think their quality of life will suffer much.

4. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    Quote:Well i guess that was really my main concern.....so i am happy to hear that!!!!

5. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    We have 2 ducks, and we filled up a large stock tank for them to swim in. The problem is that they NEVER go into it, which I don't understand. They seem happy, but I don't think they can mate, since waterfowl from what I've read, mate on water. I dunno, I don't think it's cruel, they have pretty good lives even though they are in captivity. Good luck, and DUCKS ARE MESSY!!! There's a reason why they're called water-foul!!!

6. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    They don't need water, they just like to play in it. A kiddie pool works fine, I'll be using a water tank for them to swim in.

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

I have ducks. I used to let them out on my pond, but the hawks started getting them and all but 1 of the flock flew away. [​IMG]

So now I keep them in a 21 by 24' dog kennel. They are on dirt, and I use hay for bedding. I use a plastic kiddie type pool, and they love it. They are call ducks.

I think they would prefer fresh water to nasty yucky pond water anyways. [​IMG]

8. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ill post pics soon as I get home. I have 3 ducks and just have 2 kiddie pools set up. Sure, i clean them everyother day if not everyday and give them a good scrubbing, but my ducks are worth it , lol. I love to watch them when I refill the pool, they have so much fun!
    Id prefer having my ducks in there pools simply becuase of all the turtles in the pond next door. Turtles are a danger to most ducks, ofter biting their legs and killing ducklings.

9. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Our yard is all rock, so not even a chance of putting in a pond. We've got 3 ducks though, and a kiddie pool - they love it!!! I agree with all the posters, that I believe they much prefer clean water - although they love it when we pull dandelion greens and toss them in the pool. And even though they don't HAVE to have the water, don't deny yourself or them the fun of a little pool. It's better than cable!

Yes, ducks are messy, but if you are getting them full grown you won't have to go through the brooding process and that is the worst. Outside they aren't much different that the chickens.

My ducks are my babies - they are hilarious to watch and so full of character. Go for it!

10. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Our 10 use 2 kiddie ponds. We have a little 1 that is really easy to clean/dump. Also i don't worry about the ducklings in the smaller pool. They don't need 2 but i have setting ducks that set on the opposite side of the yard and i try to keep a clean pool close to them. I don't believe its cruel. They make huge mud puddles with the water anyway. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by