1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

opinions about red mite

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by egyptchick, Nov 3, 2011.

1. egyptchick

egyptchick Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    Ontario
    Banty hen has been quarantined from my flock for 5 weeks. all signs of cocci are gone and i have dusted her for red mites. She was never in my coop with the red mites. I have dusted her with DE and she is in a plastic cage with shavings treated wih DE. I checked her and I couldn't see any mites. I was wondering when it should be safe to introduce her.to my coop and flock. How soon can I redust? How long until it is safe to move into flock?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I would say by one month it is probably ok to move new chickens into a flock. So I think you have done all you can do in 5 weeks. When introducing a new bird, keep an eye on the flock for several days to make sure this new bird is not injured. Put out plenty of water and feeding stations so she can eat alone. Watch them at bed time also so she can find a place on the roost bar. If you have to, you may need to put her in with the flock but behind a fence so that everybody can see her, she can see them, and they get used to each other without the need to peck too violently. Sometimes keeping a new bird this way for a few weeks can minimize the fighting in the long run. Good luck!

3. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    DE does not "treat" mites or lice. (It's nice, natural, might help prevent in a clean coop or added to the sand for "dirt baths", etc. -- might help prevent, will not treat.)
    May I suggest that if you saw mites on her before, and then you dusted her with DE... check again, carefully.. under the wings ("armpits") and on and around the vent.

If she has mites.
    I suggest Sevin Dust or "Garden and Poultry Dust", repeat in ten days.

If she had been in the flock, or if (when) your flock gets mites, dusting each chicken, as well as cleaned coop, nesting boxes, roosts, etc. Repeating in ten days.

If she has been quarantined in a cage... after she is clear of mites, can you moved the cage into the run (and the coop at night)? Let her be exposed to the flock, with the cage walls between them, with her safe in the cage. Put the food for her and for the flock up against the cage wall, so they can eat "together". Give it at least a few days that way. (With a fence or cage wall between them, with them eating head to head, "together".)
    I absolutely agree with twocrowsranch, and think five weeks is plenty long and keep an eye on them.

Is she the only Bantam hen? Does she look like the other birds in your flock. Chickens tend to pick on someone who's different looking. And, all chickens have to find their place in the pecking order, you can't prevent some jockying for position in the flock (bickering).

Clearly you are doing everything you can; and doing it well and thoroughly. Good luck with introducing her.

4. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    7 dust works great, works almost immediately but need to be treated again for any eggs that may have hatched. Also ivermatic pour on for cattle, one drop for smaller chicks and two drops for adults, made to get rid of parasites.

5. hamilton3475

hamilton3475 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:Ditto, DE not near as good as people have told me. My feed store told me it was the "miracle natural" parasite killer. I used it and it did nothing. I do still use it to try and prevent but never for treatment anymore. I use Dawn dish detergent and sevin now for treatment and together they work great for lice and mites. I treat 3 times 2 weeks apart because they wont kill the eggs. After the 3 treatments my birdies are parasite free, pretty and happy [​IMG] they hated the baths at first but now my girls dont mind them at all. As for the ole roosters..... they still give me fits lol. I also treat the run, coop, nesting boxes and dusting area with DE and sevin mixture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by