Opinions about the deep litter method.

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Atomiccarebear, May 22, 2017.

1. Atomiccarebear

Atomiccarebear Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2017
    Murfreesboro, TN
    We live in Tennessee and it gets cold in the winter time. I've read that the deep litter method can help keep the coop warmer and surprisingly doesn't smell. Has anyone tried this on their own coop?

2. WesleyBeal

WesleyBeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2016
    Douglas County, Minnesota
    It certainly can, once you get some active composting taking place.

I also think that the extra material on the floor and along the bottom of the walls probably helps some with insulation.

I don't know that it produces a lot of heat. My coop was generally between 10 and 20 degrees warmer inside than the outside temperature. Much of that is just do to having walls and chickens inside producing their own body heat.

My opinion is that I'll trade dry for colder temps any time, so warmth isn't my primary objective.

Deep litter doesn't smell when it's managed well. If it's cold enough for the moisture in droppings to freeze before any composting action in deep litter can take place, it won't smell - because it's frozen - but later when it thaws ammonia levels will skyrocket and the coop will wreak. I doubt there'll be too much of an issue with that in Tennessee.

3. biophiliac

biophiliac Chillin' with the Peeps Premium Member

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    X2 what @WesleyBeal said. Also the link in the above post from @aart is very helpful:D

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not seeing the link you mentioned when you mentioned my handle

5. biophiliac

biophiliac Chillin' with the Peeps Premium Member

Apr 22, 2016
    DeForest, WI
    You have to click on the quote box to see your whole quote with the link. I just checked it:frow

(I shouldn't have been so lazy and made that easier to see:oops:)

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ohhhhhh thought you were quoting from this thread<smackhead> :D
    Am not totally used to looking at this new format....
    ...I just missed it seeing the quote you were referring to.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  7. Kellycbf

Kellycbf Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2017
    Midwest US
    Did you see the other post about the Deep Litter Method? If not, I would read a few pages of it. You don't have to read the entire thing, but it is an excellent resource.

Atomiccarebear and biophiliac like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by