Opinions... Do you brood on wire or shavings?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by henpeckedhubby, Mar 28, 2009.

1. henpeckedhubby

henpeckedhubby New Egg

Mar 1, 2009
    South Carolina
    If you brood on wire, is half inch hardware cloth the standard? I'm building a new brooder and am undecided on which way to go. [​IMG] Thanks!

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I would recommend something like pine shavings (don't use cedar).

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I agree with The Chicken Lady.

4. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    I keep my "kids in a makeshift box brooder for 1 week. Then they go to wire. I have never had a problem, and it's so nice not to have to clean poo.

5. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    definitely shavings here, nice and deep and warm

6. Chicktastic

Chicktastic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have used shavings, never wire. I like the shavings. But now I use straw. It is much easier to clean for me. We just pick up the whole mat and take it to the compost pile. Simple and easy.

7. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    I use a large box for the first day then they go to the big outdoor wire bottom brooder. It has 1/4" wire bottom with a drop pan..6' long x 2" wide x 2" deep.Three stalls all with individual heat lamps.I brood way to many chicks to use shavings..

8. Farm Frenzy

Farm Frenzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Oak Hill, Florida
    Quote:Ditto.

9. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I have been using a plastic container as a brooder and using shavings. However, I noticed they kept acting like something was bothering their head, twitching. Well this last batch started to do the same. Out went the shavings and then into a warm coop. The twitching went away. I don't know if it was the shavings or the plastic. Either way I and my hb have built a new brooder. The bottom is a plastic tray but they will have lots more air. The brooder is made of a frame with wire on it. I am going to use news paper after the first week covered lightly with aspen , non voulital oils. wood chips they are more expensive but they hopefully will not irritate the chicks. Damage done at a young age does not go away. they still grow and lay etc. but they will always have that twitch. At first I thought it was lice or mites but not so. Whatever you use make sure that they have enough good air exchange, Jean

10. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Chicks on shavings, ducklings on wire. I got a brooder coop setup for the next batch of chicks (just 25), wood shavings on top of concrete.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by