Opinions Needed! All Opinions Welcome! (Kind of long)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Bec, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Ok. First part:
    So up the road there is a house that sits on the corner. If I had to guess, I would guess they have about 2 acres fenced in for their horses. They have 1 gray horse, 1 bay, 1 paint pony and a miniature. They have a run in that isn't nearly big enough for all of them and no other shelter at all, but that's another story for another day.
    A few weeks ago, I was driving to pick up my daughter from preschool and noticed their paint pony was out, but didn't have time to stop and check it out..figured I would just see on my way back. Sure enough on the way back, there he was, this time across the road and heading toward a more busy road. So my daughter and I stopped and went over to him (luckily I always have lead ropes in my car). He was very sweet and VERY gentle so we walked him back to the house. The people were not home, so we went to the nearest neighbor to ask them if they had a phone number or anything. They didn't but told me that he gets out all the time and that animal control has been out to that house many times. The pony's name is Chubby and is used for pony rides at a nearby orchard. The neighbor also told me that most people who find him wandering come to her asking if it is her horse. She says no and sends them over to the pony's home.
    She said that they don;t have locks on their gates so I could just put him back in. And I did. I left a note on the door telling the owners that I had found him up the road and I had put him back in. I left my name and number. I never got a call or anything...that's fine.
    OK, second part:
    About 2 weeks ago, I was again driving back from preschool and I saw that animal control was there. There were 2 officers and the girls that lives there was leading Chubby up towards the house. The next day I didn't see Chubby at all, so I thought maybe he was just too much of an escape artist for her to handle and she got rid of him. A couple days later I saw them standing around the horse trailer and in it was Chubby and their mini. So obviously Chubby is still around, I just couldn't figure out where they were keeping him and thought there is no way they are keeping that poor pony in that trailer. And they aren't Thank God! I noticed after that that they had him, what I thought was, stalled in there.
    Today I was AGAIN driving home from preschool and decided to turn onto the road that the other side of their property faces. Well sure enough, in the run-in was Chubby. He is tied to the wall by a short lead rope and is unable to do anything but stand there, he can't even turn around or lay down.
    Ok Final Part:
    This is where I need opinions...
    Normally I would mind my own business and keep going if I felt everything was fine. I have a habit of just checking all the animals and livestock as I drive along, making sure everything is good.
    BUT I feel so bad for this pony having to stand there all the time. I have driven past as all times of the day and my husband has too from early morning to evening and he is in there. Should I call the SPCA to see if there is something that can be done, or should I just leave it?

2. Gloria

Gloria Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh, that is so sad, poor little guy! How long have they had him standing there in the same spot? Maybe they are just leaving him there until they can figure out what to do with him. I would give them a little more time to decide what to do with him before I called anyone.

Hope this helps. It's only my opinion.

3. Bec

I appreciate it! Well I haven't seen him out int he field with the others for at least 2 weeks, maybe more, I really wasn't keeping track until now.
    That day I was late getting home because of having to return him to his home...my farrier was waiting for me. turn out, He does Chubby's feet and all the others there. He is coming back out next week, so I was going to ask him what was going on and see if he knew, but when I saw how they have him in there today, I wasn't sure if I wanted to wait a whole week or not... So you figure, all this has happened in the past 5 weeks..my horses are due next week!
    I just don't know what to do. I mean after all he isn't my horse and nothing they are doing is affecting me or my horses. I just feel terrible for him.

4. tomcio

tomcio Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    I generally don't reply to such issues, but....

Here is how I see it:

1. Are you sure the animal is mistreated? Beaten? Denied food/water? Sick and not tendered to?
    2. You drive by in the morning/evening. Are you 100% sure that someone isn't waking/riding it at the times you are not there?
    3. For all intents and purposes the pony is livestock, and from what you described, they are not doing anything grossly wrong. Yes it may not have the funnest time in the world, but then again, it may be tied close to teach it not to wonder. There are many schools of thought on animal training.

I personally would leave it be and not involve authorities. I also know that if I was in their shoes and someone did call authorities, not only would I be very upset, but I would demand to speak with the person that did. And set them straight. Remember, by calling authorities you are defacto stating that they are animal abusers. That's not something animal owners take lightly.

That said, it is up to you, the above is just my opinion (take or leave it).

Cheers,

Tom

5. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    That's a tough one. I wouldn't do anything until you talk to the owners. They may have a reason for tying him other than his escapes, or may be trying to get rid of him already. I know the horse rescue here in GA is waaaay overloaded. If his options are being tied vs. being put down, he may be better off now. Optimally, you could offer to take him.

6. Florida chick

Florida chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    They most certainly are "abusing" the horse. If he is smaller other horses in the herd can kick and injure him if he can't get away.
    Horses need to lie down and sleep.
    Horses need to put their heads to the ground to clear their nasal passages.
    He needs to move to be warm.
    I would call the ACO, the animal needs suffiecient shelter and RUN area that is clean. How very very sad.

7. Bec

Well, see that's the thing. I wasn't sure if that is considered abuse or just plain mistreating the animal. Obviously they aren't bothered by the SPCA because they are out there very often and probably don't care who called, they didn't even call me back to thank me for putting their horse back in.

Like I said, All opinions welcome [​IMG]

8. Bec

Quote:He is tied INSIDE the run-in, so he is in out of the elements, but like I said, IS tied with a very short lead to the wall.

I would LOVE to have him, but according to my farrier, Chubby is the "Money Maker" and she is looking for a 5th horse as well.

9. SouthernLady

SouthernLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Mississippi
    If I felt in my heart that the pony is being mistreated or abused, I wouldn't hesitate to call.

10. DawnSuiter

DawnSuiter Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I second this sentiment.
    I would not hesitate... I have been the bad girl many times bringing in animals that were mistreated... of course most end up here at my house when I do that...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by