Opinions needed: Am I scrawny or just molting? (Pictures)

Discussion in 'Geese' started by grubbygirl, Aug 6, 2010.

1. grubbygirl

grubbygirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Willamette Valley, OR
    Hello, lovely goose people:

All is well on the waterfowl front here. My gosling, Violet, is virtually fully grown now and living quite happily outside with my trio of oldies: Indy, Piper, and Baby Andy (who is, of course, Violet's future husband). And she still loves me! Alert the papers, I raised a well-adjusted goose!

However.

I've noticed lately that Indy seems to be really scrawny around the neck area. The 3 adult geese still appear to be molting and all are looking pretty shabby and disheveled in general. Additionally, I will admit to being jumpy and overly fretful about my birds, so I thought I'd solicit some impartial opinions from you friendly birdfolk.

What do you think? Am I making him self-conscious with my worrying over his weedy appearance, or does this look like it could be related to weight loss? Health-wise, Indy is acting just like his old self. His appetite and energy levels are normal, and I haven't noticed any unusual poops around the yard (although I will be on the lookout for them if you tell me what to look for!).

Here's Indy pre-molt (Indy in foreground, Baby Andy in background):

[​IMG]

And here's Indy today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NapoleanGoose

NapoleanGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Bishop CA
    Look for pin feathers growing around his neck. I think it's just molting.

3. Goosehaven

Goosehaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    One of my ganders looks like that around the neck right now. Its the way they have molted and lost alot of the feathering around their neck which makes them look scrawnier. They'll be good to go again when the new feather growth comes back in [​IMG]

4. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    It just looks like molting to me!

5. grubbygirl

grubbygirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    Willamette Valley, OR
    Thanks for the reassurance, folks! I spoke too soon on the normal poops -- found some weird ones, but they came up normal on lab testing, so I guess it's all good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by