1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions needed: Does this sound like a good plan?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Eggsoteric, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Eggsoteric

Eggsoteric Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I recently acquired a Silkie roo to place with my 2 Silkie hens. Puff Daddy is due to come out of his 30-day quarantine on 3/24. Until my Silkie coop is finished, I have the 2 hens set up in an old dairy building. My original plan was to move Puff Daddy into a large rabbit hutch that is part of the Silkie hen pen for about a week or so so that he and the girls can get acquainted thru the mesh wire of the hutch, however, one of the Silkie hens just this past Tues./Wednesday hatched out a couple of chicks. Should I wait until the chicks are a little older? Do you think that it would be okay to go ahead with my original plan so that he can get used to the hens along with the chicks and vice versa? I should have the coop and their pen done within the next few weeks at which time, providing the weather stays warm enough, I would move them all to their new digs.

Poor PD is quite the lonely little guy at the moment.

Thanks.

2. BantamoftheOpera

BantamoftheOpera Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Southern Maine
    I think it would be a good idea to have them separate, but in the same enclosure like your original plan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by