Opinions needed on coop and run size please!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ailron, Mar 16, 2013.

1. ailron

ailron Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2013
    East Tennessee
    I have 165 chicks that are from one week to 4 weeks old. Some are RIR's and some are Buff Orps, Red Sex Link and White Leghorn. I eventually want all laying hens and will sell the roosters when they are older. I am planning to start a coop and run, as I have too many neighbors to free range. Farm animals are grandfathered in on my 0.65 acre city property. My question is: Will 800 sq. feet of run and a 12 X 12 coop with built in nesting boxes on one side be large enough for all of my babies once they are grown. I would like to get some opinions before I start this project. Thank you.

2. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    First off...thats a LOT of chickens. LOT of chickens...really the coop would be to small. with 4 sq foot it would house 36 or so.

3. ailron

Feb 17, 2013
    East Tennessee
    Thanks. Guess I need to make it bigger. I will be thinning them out once I can tell the roosters from hens, so I won't have that many permanently.

4. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    Ah, ok well pending on the breed you should be able to have a good idea which is a rooster and which is a hen by...11-14 weeks i would think, you can always post pics in breed and gender thread and everyone can help. How many do you plan on having permanently?

5. ailron

Feb 17, 2013
    East Tennessee
    I would like to keep the run at 800 to 1000 sq. feet and the coop no larger than 12 X 16. So, whater that will comfortably hold.

6. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    You don't need 4 sqft of coop space per bird but 2 sqft is required. The run area is where they'll be spending their days and the coop is to lay eggs and roost at night. Being in Tennessee you've no problems with winter so your birds will be outside all day, every day. The largest you can make your run the better. Be prepared for no grass though. 165 chicks is quite a start to chicken keeping, Even with if you have 50% roosters that's a 160 square foot coop for 80 adult birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by