Opinions needed....on coop size for.....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by savingpurple, Jul 22, 2011.

1. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    2 white leghorns. What is the smallest I can go? I now know that I can get by with 1 nest box, but am on a budget, so the smallest is the better option, but don't want to make it too small.

Any help would be aprreciated.

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Quote:make it 4x4x4 that way it small, but not too small for them.

3. Tambo26

Tambo26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Orrington, MAINE
    I fretted about this too before I got my chicks. I have three Buff Orpingtons. I wanted three only but knew that I might possibly end up with 5 so I wanted to build a coop big enough.... but small enough that in our Maine winter they would keep warm. I ended up building a 4X4 because the plan said it was good for up to 6 chickens (yeah right!) These girls are big now and they arent even full grown. They are only in the coop at night and they have plenty of room to move around in the am before I let them out into the run. I can say that a 4X4 is great for my 3 Buffs.[​IMG]

4. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    can anyone shopw pics of small coops? To give me some ideas? I need to get this done quick before my husband changes my mind [​IMG]

5. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    can't seem to get the link right but looks like someone got it for you . [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by