Opinions needed on my laying feed thought....

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by goodbull92, Mar 9, 2012.

1. goodbull92

goodbull92 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    NE Texas
    Ok, my pullets are only 3.5 wks right now but I have been researching feed options for when they start laying. I purchase a 14% all-stock pellet for my other livestock in bulk. It is 14% protein & 1.5 - 2.0% calcium. I get it for about $4-$5 cheaper per 50# than the 16% laying pellets. My thoughts are that I can add oyster shell to the feed to add any needed calcium.

This would make it easier & cheaper on my trips to the feed store....Will it be ok?

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    14% protien is too low. They need at least 16% and many of us use 18 or 20% formulations. Perhaps you could find a supplement to mix in, but then it'd likely end up as expensive as just buying layer food.

3. goodbull92

goodbull92 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2012
    NE Texas
    I was afraid that 14% would be too low for protein in laying hens. I also figured that if I had to supplement the protein to get it to say 16-18% i would probably negate the price diffence.....I think I will just call my local feed mill & see if they have any laying feed in bulk.

Thanks for the input & advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by