1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions needed on the Sportsman 1502 please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LilRalphieRoosmama, Feb 13, 2009.

1. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I am seriously considering buying this because the 3 styrofoam bators I have just aren't working well for me with the quantities I need to hatch. I've read everything I can find but am not sure if you can incubate chicken eggs and quail eggs at the same time (staggered for hatching of course). Anybody know?

Please give me your honest opinions and feedback. Thanks -

2. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    No complaints with ours. Great hatch rates. We love them. [​IMG]

3. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Reading through the list of accessories is confusing - do you really need the racks or can you use egg cartons on the shelves? What about the auto humidity system - is that a necessity? Easy to make yourself? Trying to cut down on the cost but don't want to skimp on the necessities.

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    Im not really sure I can help you there, we got both with ours. But I would think you could use egg cartons with them instead of the racks. But dont take my word for it. Maybe some one else can help you on that.

5. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Get the racks.

The auto-humidity isn't anything of the sort. It's a reservoir that means you don't have to top up the water tray.

If you want auto-humidity, look elsewhere.

(I'd start by looking at Brinsea)

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I love my 1502 and have no complaints. I bought generic plastic egg trays thru Cutler..they were cheaper and I could pick and choose which ones I wanted in quantity due to the various species we hatch here. I do not use the humidity system and do just fine with the humidity tray that comes with it standard. I routinely have 100% hatches.

7. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    I've looked at the Brinsea's before but there are no prices. I've emailed and never rec'd a response.

I know how fast the humidity (and temps) are sucked out when you open the styrofoam bator; I can only imagine it would be worse in these bigger units. I would assume that the auto-humidity is nothing more than a 5 gal bucket that somebody with a brain could make (except me LOL).

I think the racks would be a necessity because it looks like the egg cartons would slide right off or move around. Am I assuming correctly?

8. LilRalphieRoosmama

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Quote:Oh thank you - I value your opinion and I do love Cutler. Can you put quail and chicken eggs in there together or is it a one-or-the-other kind of thing?

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I set whatever species I feel like. That's the nice thing about the hatching tray at the bottom. I usually use separate hatchers though to keep my Sportsman clean.

I fill the humidity tray every 2-3 days and don't have any problems with it holding steady temps/humidity. I think you'll do fine with it.

10. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    I have the 1502 with humidity kit and the trays. You can make the humidity kit yourself for about $10. The bator is great i have a 95-98% hatch rate. I fill my humidity reserve once a month and let'm hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by