OPINIONS NEEDED PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rescuedrvr4u, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Rescuedrvr4u

Rescuedrvr4u Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2011
    My babies are 3 1/2 weeks old. They were staying in the spare bedroom (13 of them) in a rubbermaid container w/ a heat lamp. Needless to say, it was getting VERY cramped. I put them in the coop today in a LARGE cage, with plenty of sawdust, and a heat lamp in the cage about 7-8 inches from the floor. The coop is VERY secure, no chance of stronge draft, and 35 adult chickens sleeping in it. I would think all this combined, they should be ok (going to be about 30 the next couple of nights, 50's during the day) My husband says no way, not a good idea. They seem so much happier, are running around, playing, flapping their wings, and over all seem alot happier. Will they be ok at night.?

2. If they have draft protection and plenty of heat they should be fine I don't know

3. Maev

Maev Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Yakima, WA
    As long as they can get under the heat lamp and away from it to regulate their body temp they should be fine.

4. Rescuedrvr4u

Dec 19, 2011
    Wow Maev...Is that your horse? Stunning!!!!

5. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    From what you've described it sounds like they will be fine. Do the adult birds have access to them? If so I'd keep a close eye on them. They might not be very welcoming to the babies.

6. Maev

Maev Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Yakima, WA
    Yes, the sorrel/chestnut horse in my pictures is mine [​IMG] Thanks! He is a handsome boy!

7. Rescuedrvr4u

Dec 19, 2011
    Layne...No, the adults can't get to them, I have smaller wire wrapped around the cage. I did this because last summer I had a baby guinea die because it broke it's little neck poking it through the cage :(. My husband actually felt alot better about it once he got home and actually saw how I set it up, AND, I put a second heat lamp in. They have plenty of room to come away from the heat if they want, plenty of heat if they need it so...*fingers crossed!!*

8. LaynaDon95

LaynaDon95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2012
    Texas
    Sounds like you have it under control! Now, the key is to try not to worry too much. ;)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by