Opinions on a broody hen

Neuroscigirl

Chirping
May 24, 2018
I have three very persistent broody hens and it got me wondering...

What does everyone do when they have broody hens? I'm curious to hear people's creative solutions. Do you let them hatch? Give away the babies? Get them chicks to adopt? Try to break them?

Not sure what I'm going to do. Had a bit of a traumatic experience this year with a weak group of chicks I got from my local feed store. My heart still hurts but I don't want these girls to sit on empty nests forever.

I have three very persistent broody hens and it got me wondering...

What does everyone do when they have broody hens? I'm curious to hear people's creative solutions. Do you let them hatch? Give away the babies? Get them chicks to adopt? Try to break them?

Not sure what I'm going to do. Had a bit of a traumatic experience this year with a weak group of chicks I got from my local feed store. My heart still hurts but I don't want these girls to sit on empty nests forever.
I let them nest and then deal with the babies later. Usually I keep some of the pullets, occasionally a cockerel and rehome the rest once weaned

I would let her do her thing! I think it's always so exciting and fun! I usually keep them all then find the males and sell those and keep the girls.
:hugsShe will take much better care of them then a feed store!

Personally if you can find chicks just hatched (or just arrived to a feedstock that day), I'd give them some of them and see if they take them after brooding for a week or two.

I also have this question. I have a broody that just hatched out 4 chicks and now I have two more hens that are broody. I'm not sure if I can create separate space for two more broodies (my coops aren't safe for tiny chicks).

I ask myself this whenever I have a broody (which is 3 to 4x a year.
1. Do you have room for more chickens?
2. Do you want more chicks?
3. Do you have time for more chicks?
4. Will a larger flock cause more stress for you and the flock?
5. What will you do with cockerels?
My answers are usually: yes, of course, no, yes, and I'll figure it out later...then I set eggs or buy chicks for them to adopt. Because who can resist chicks🤣
Seriously, ask yourself those questions, and then if you don't want chicks, break the broody before she sits too long. It's easier if you do it early.

I also have this question. I have a broody that just hatched out 4 chicks and now I have two more hens that are broody. I'm not sure if I can create separate space for two more broodies (my coops aren't safe for tiny chicks).
I usually just let mine stay with the flock. I do seperate them while they are setting, and until the chicks are 2 to 3 days old. (In a see, don't touch cage.) I'm not sure what you mean by not safe, though. Do you mean from other hens, roosters, or from predators or environmental issues?

I usually just let mine stay with the flock. I do seperate them while they are setting, and until the chicks are 2 to 3 days old. (In a see, don't touch cage.) I'm not sure what you mean by not safe, though. Do you mean from other hens, roosters, or from predators or environmental issues?
I have raised coops/chicken tractor, so there are lots of places where tiny chicks could get stuck, fall, etc. Have you had good success giving your hens chicks to adopt after they've been broody for awhile? Can you separate chicks before they are weaned?

I have raised coops/chicken tractor, so there are lots of places where tiny chicks could get stuck, fall, etc. Have you had good success giving your hens chicks to adopt after they've been broody for awhile? Can you separate chicks before they are weaned?
I've never tried to wean them. I usually rehome them shortly after the hen leaves them.
I have given them feed store chicks before. I've not had problems with that, but not all hens will take them.
Have you considered building simple broody houses with small runs to keep mom and chicks until they are old enough for your tractor? Something like a dog house with added ventilation and an added low hardware cloth run?
My first broodies were all housed together, in seperate nests, inside a 10 x 10 dog kennel covered top to bottom with hardware cloth. They did quite well. No fighting at all, but my hens are all pretty laid back.

I've never tried to wean them. I usually rehome them shortly after the hen leaves them.
I have given them feed store chicks before. I've not had problems with that, but not all hens will take them.
Have you considered building simple broody houses with small runs to keep mom and chicks until they are old enough for your tractor? Something like a dog house with added ventilation and an added low hardware cloth run?
My first broodies were all housed together, in seperate nests, inside a 10 x 10 dog kennel covered top to bottom with hardware cloth. They did quite well. No fighting at all, but my hens are all pretty laid back.
Yes, I think I might have to build something like that if I plan to let broodies hatch more often.

Back
Top Bottom