Opinions on a wall mounted plastic nest box

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kev, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Been wanting to change my nest box set up- covered cat litter boxes on ground to on-wall nest boxes. I've been looking at metal or plastic, don't want to use/make a wood set up.

Any opinions or experiences with this nest box?

[​IMG]

picture from this website

http://www.flemingoutdoors.com/plastic-nest-box.html

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  2. FunkyFowl

FunkyFowl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2012
    Middleburg FLorida
    it looks too small for alot of chickens :\

3. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Ha, yes. The pens I am thinking of each only have 2-3 hens each. I'd have gotten two for each pen, not just one.

edited... oh you probably meant the SIZE. yes it looks small to me for that buff orp. But so many nestboxes look too small to me yet they apparently are used... [​IMG] Currently these same pens have bantams... but likely to be switched around with standards/larges in the future.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  4. chickenology

chickenology Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2010
    Ohio
    I am considering buying this same nest box. Have you tried it yet? Would you recommend this? I am currently looking at buying it for a pen of bantams, but would hope that a full size chicken would use it also in the future.

5. joan1708

joan1708 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    DFW - mid cities, Tx
    Are you sure you don't want the option of being able to put the nest box on the floor? I've read that is how some people train young hens to lay in the nest box. I guess you could have screws in the wall for several heights as needed. I never got mine trained to lay in the nest box. They lay in the corner of the coop. I have Silkies and have lots of issues with broodiness, so I have to keep them out of the coop a lot anyway. I bought a very nice metal nest box for bantams and finally just took it out because it was just in the way and wasn't being used.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by