Opinions on Barred PR roo

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by cafrhe, Jan 19, 2015.

1. cafrhe

cafrhe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Western central NJ
    Hi, I am looking for opinions on this roo. He was given to me as a supposed to be pure barred rock. From a local farm that probably buys chicks from a hatchery and then resells--but I am not positive, they may breed farm birds. Definitely not know as a PR breeder.

I crossed him with 3 Red Star hens and we got 8 chicks-4 are white/yellow with a little darkness around the eyes and one with a few black spots. 4 chicks look like barred PR chicks-black with yellowish/whitish tushies and headspots and back stripes (slight).
    [​IMG]

I am just curious about the genetics. We (daughter and I) are just learning about chicken genetics and are getting familiar with some of the breeds we are interested in.

Does producing white chicks say anything about his breed? Whether he is mixed or not?

Thanks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    To get an accurate read of his genetics you would need to breed him to a BPR hen and judge the resulting chicks. Because you have crossed him with mixed breed birds (Red Stars are red sex links - hybrids), it is impossible to fairly judge his gentics based on the chicks that have hatched.

3. cafrhe

cafrhe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2014
    Western central NJ
    Thanks. And I presume not a hen from hatchery PR. There may be some mixing there?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by