Opinions on BCM hen/roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by bellmare, Jul 1, 2016.

1. bellmare

bellmare Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Las Vegas
    This Black Copper Marans chick has been giving me trouble since hatch! I can't seem to figure out if I think it's a rooster or hen. I'm usually so good at this, but I'm second guessing myself. If it's a rooster, why is it SO BLACK?! Roosters are supposed to be colorful, right?! Has anyone seen an all black BCM rooster before?

Please don't try to say it's not a pure BCM. She/he came from a respected breeder I found here.

Here's the progression pictures.

ALL OF THESE PICTURES ARE THE SAME BIRD.

[​IMG]

Ok... for SURE a Black Copper Marans. Started life as the bottom egg.

[​IMG]

What a cute hatchling! Here I was convinced ROOSTER because of the prominent comb...

[​IMG]

I was still pretty sure at 7 weeks cockerel because that comb was big! But still, not as red as the other cockerels.

[​IMG]

11 weeks old now. I changed my mind. It had to be a hen! Named "her" Daphne! She even grew hen tail feathers.

[​IMG]

Such a pretty hen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These pics are from today - 13 weeks. All of a sudden the comb is reddening and the wattles are very obvious. This isn't supposed to happen yet?!?!

[​IMG]

As you can see, her tail feathers ALL FELL OUT and now she has no hen tail feathers. It even looks to me like she's growing saddle feathers that point down!!!!

[​IMG]

Better picture of 0 tail feathers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Could this just be a fast maturing hen? Or a slower maturing rooster?

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    How old is he/she in the last picture? I'm leaning towards pullet.

And I'm sorry to tell you this, but that isn't a pure BCM.

Just kidding! [​IMG]

3. FFFAviaries

FFFAviaries Out Of The Brooder

Jun 30, 2016
    At 13 weeks, you should be able to see the copper coloring coming in if you had a male. Definitely marked as a pullet. However, even for a pullet I would expect to see some copper markings at this point. Could possibly just be a solid black Maran.

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    very darks happen in BCM including some roos with just a necklace.. I know I had them, also direct from a very reputable breeder.

Yours however is a pullet for sure. By this point there would be at least some obvious super shiny and this is important- very pointy feathers in the saddle and neck area. The feathering is round tipped all over her...

if you want to be sure, part the feathers on her back/saddle and find an actively growing pin feather with an exposed feather tip and note the shape. Super thin/clear pointed tip- cockerel, round tips- pullet.

5. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Oops, I didn't see the age above the bottom picture before I asked. Sorry! I think you have a pullet.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Even reputable breeders with good parent stock hatch less than stellar chicks. That's why breeding is more than just propagating chicks, it's selecting for specific traits and culling birds that aren't up to snuff. Getting the perfect copper markings is a challenge with good BCM from my understanding, there are lots of minimally marked birds out there.

Looks like a pretty pullet, but she's also pretty precocious.

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    very pretty pullet

8. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    an aside- in my experience/eyes it seemed like probable mix of E and ER(birchen) birds. E are 'naturally' less colored and relatively easy to turn all black. A lot of E hens are black or color limited to neck, with roosters showing color on hackles/saddles and/or wing bow area.

However it is very possible to make minimally colored birchens, though.. not an easy one to figure out genetically. The color patterns in the birds I had sure seemed to show the "typical E pattern" a lot though.

9. bellmare

bellmare Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Thank you everyone for your replies. I am reassured this is a pullet. I am very happy, she's my only BCM that made it from that hatch. As she is not a breeding bird, simply bought for colorful eggs, I am not having a problem with her overly black appearance. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by