Opinions on best breed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by muggle07, Mar 9, 2015.

1. muggle07

muggle07 New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Hi! I'm new here as of today :) I don't have any chickens yet but have been researching and plan on getting four chicks this month. I live in Ohio so I would like a breed that can withstand cold and warm. I have young children so would like ones that aren't aggressive. Also, I live in the city so I would love a breed that isn't too loud. I've been looking at Delaware, Rhode Island Red, and Wyandotte. I would love some advice! Thank you!!!

2. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Production reds.

I have 3 ,but two are ignoring me.Very curious and gorgeous red feathers.Also very well built immune systems.All the Production reds I raise always are nice,and very affectionate if treated politely.

Buff Orpington is another good bird but bad immune systems.Mine is somewhat affectionate,but she has also been ignoring me.

Newhampshires are a good bird,and very friendly.

3. muggle07

muggle07 New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Thank you so much!!! :)

4. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

The type that immediately comes to mind as cold- and heat-hardy, quiet, and kid-friendly are Easter Eggers. They're actually a mixed breed, and marketed by hatcheries as Easter eggers or Americauna. (True Ameraucana are much more rare.) EE lay eggs with pretty blue-green shells and the hens are typically around 4-5 pounds.

In my experience, RIR are among the loudest hens in my flock and sometimes they're aggressive with people and/or flock mates. It just depends on the personality of the individual bird. They are fantastic layers though, as are barred plymouth rock.

For a small backyard flock, I'd recommend EE, Dominique, black australorp, and/or barred plymouth rock.

5. Wise Farm

Wise Farm Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2014
    Have you considered Orpingtons? In my opinion they are the best! The hens are calm, good egg layers, and in my experience, quiet. They are champs in extremely cold temps and do well in warm weather too. Also they look very lovely wandering around the yard. If I had to pick one breed it would be the Orpington.
    I have had all of the breeds you mentioned, here is my opinion on all of them. Delaware: Good egg layers, my birds have been somewhat noisy, combs can be easily frostbitten. Rhode Island Red: Best egg layers ever! Cold and heat hardy, but like Delawares comb can be frostbitten. My ladies sing a very loud egg song. If a Rhode Island Red lays an egg you will hear about it! Roosters are sometimes aggressive. Wyandottes: Good egg layers. Cold and heat hardy, quiet. Very calm birds. Their varieties are very lovely.
    In all you have decide on your own depending on your needs and wants. What works for me may not work for you. If you have any specific questions I would love to answer!
    BTW:welcome

6. muggle07

muggle07 New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Thank you all so much, I really appreciate your input!!

7. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Also,Production reds are hardy breed,and never brood.Also,very non aggressive with other birds.

Buff Orpington birds are winter hardy.

8. LoveThemBirds

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Also welcome to BYC!

9. muggle07

muggle07 New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Thank you! I am very excited for this journey!! :):)

10. campbell5

campbell5 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2015
    Arkansas
    My favorites are Barred Rocks. I currently have four (one male, three hens) that I raised from hatchlings and they are incredibly sweet. One hen that I grew very fond of, my daughter named Heartsy, would look up from the brooder box and want to roost on my arm. I love, love, love them.

I also prefer Rex Sex Links over Rhode Island Reds, although that is only in part to the fact that the only RIR I have is very aggressive (but I did not raise him from fuzzy-hood). Our RSL were very good layers and always came running when myself or Rooster Man went outside. We just got a new clutch of these (along with RIR to see if the temperament is different when they are hand raised) and I look forward to their sweetness in my yard.

And finally, Buff Orpingtons. These birds are incredibly sweet, ours were a bit skittish sometimes, but we adored them. We have two chicks of this breed now chirping away happily in the brooder box and I can't wait for them to grow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by