1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions on Best Chick Food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Wolf-Kim, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    I have just acquired some new chicks to add to the gang. Seven of them are Sumatra. I want them to grow the best they can, not neccesarily the fastest, but I am will to go the extra mile with these to insure the best diet possible.

I am thinking about picking out the smaller mealworms, to feed them. Or maybe even grinding up some of the larger ones.

Is higher protein, necessarily better? I've even been suggested feeding the food that people feed their peacocks or even ornamental pheasants, gamebird food? I've even heard that turkey starter was really good.

I was wondering what people think is the best food to feed chicks. Home-made recipes or even commercial foods as well as your opinions why. Do I feed them differently because they are an ornatmental/longtail breed? (I know some people don't categorize them as longtails, but you get the point, ornamentals!)

Thanks everyone.
    -Kim

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'd just go with regular ol chick feed that is fresh. Higher protein can promote faster growth, and I hear it can also give them gout in the long term. best of luck!

3. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Thanks! I found a site that has what I was huntin' for. I know that a lot of the longtail breeders feed their birds a special diet, but this is after 5 months of age(being fed chick food until then).

Thanks again!
    -Kimberly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by