Opinions on best online hatchery?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SilverDuck284, Mar 28, 2012.

1. SilverDuck284

SilverDuck284 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    I'm currently still building my incubator, but I started looking at where I want to get my eggs. I would love all of your opinions and experiences with the various hatcheries. I've looked at Metzers, efowl, McMurry, and a few others. So far I'm leaning on Metzer farms. I've heard many good things about their live ducklings. But I want eggs.

I really just need a little push to convince me, has anyone ever had a BAD experience with their eggs?

I'm hoping to have the Bator finished today, I plan to let it run for a week to work out any kinks. With any luck I hope I can order my eggs at the end of next week!! I'm so excited! :D

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Never had eggs but just got my replacements whoops we sent boys when your ordered girls so they are great- what are you planning to do with 1/2 of your hatch being boys?

Metzers is in CA that's a long way for ducks or eggs- the ducks have all come nice- but a peeping box is harder to stack stuff on or drop then just a box of eggs.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  3. SilverDuck284

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    I'm sure i can find homes for them, i know a lot of duck people. But most just have pekin or white layers. I want cayugas. I can't find any locally. So i thought it would be more fun to build a home made Bator, with miss prissy's instructions. And hatch a small brood. :)

4. lizzyGSR

lizzyGSR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2012
    Kansas
    I've never actually used them, but I've heard good things about Ideal Poultry. www.idealpoultry.com

5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If you are going to buy from a hatchery, then Metzers is the best one for ducks.

However, for hatching eggs, I suggest that you purchase from private breeders. Eggs will actually be cheaper and if you shop carefully, you can get eggs from exhibition quality ducks. There are several breeders of quality Cayugas on BYC.

Holderread would be where I would purchase Cayuga ducklings from, but I don't think he sells hatching eggs.

6. Jakl

Jakl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    I do not suggest cackle, they send a lot of mutts. They claim they are purebred, but kinda par for the course with hatcheries.

7. SilverDuck284

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    Thanks! I will look into both suggestions!

8. SilverDuck284

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    I'd really like to hear from anyone who has ordered eggs from Metzers! Please post! =D

9. MamaDuck1

MamaDuck1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2012
    California
    Just ducklings from metzer... And ive been to the farm a few times. John is a really cool guy. I have complete trust in them.

10. SilverDuck284

Mar 27, 2012
    South Carolina
    Ive heard many good things about their ducks! just not much on their eggs. Thanks tho!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by