Opinions on Blue-laced Red Wyandottes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chickndaddy, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Chickndaddy

Chickndaddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    I no longer have these birds so this is rather moot, but I will ask my fellow BYCer's opinions. I was told recently that these birds are Golden-laced Wyandottes and if I bought them as BLR "I got took."

Now these birds were bought from McKinney and Govero as day-old chicks. I also had Golden-laced Wyandottes so I know what they look like as well.

Below are the two birds in question (obviously the dark pair, not the splash hen in the background with the dirty petticoat). So what are your opinions please? I vote dark Blue-laced Red.

[​IMG]

I was also told that they weren't sure, but that they thought BLR should breed true with no black or splash birds, so the Black-laced bird I have a picture of wasn't a BLR either. [​IMG]

Edited to add: This photo is a scanned copy of a printed photo as I seem to have lost the original. So the color is not exactly portrayed correctly so I can see where the person might be seeing some gold, however I do not see how they are ignoring the blue you can clearly see.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. encorepistol

encorepistol Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    MO
    I know they will not breed true as with any blue bird. You will get lacing in blue black or splash. Hard to tell from the pic but if it came from them it more than likely had gold laced bred into them to put them on the ground faster than trying to breed true to the color. It makes the red more golden instead of the pretty red bay color they should have. I had 6 hens from them i got from a man that knew mckinney and although they were pretty the red was not there where it should have been, it was too gold.

3. Chickndaddy

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    I know they won't breed true, as they are Andalusian blue based, not lavender. I have bred them. I just wanted to know if by looking at the pic other people thought they were Golden-laced rather than Blue-laced Red.

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I am voting definite BLR. They look distinctly different than a GL to me. But.....I am certainly not an expert.

5. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I wish I could see the color better but to me they DO look like blue laced reds, but I agree that they have been outcrossed to something else. They may be F2s from a blr/glw pairing, which may have been done in an attemp to improve form. Outcrossing is not bad, as it is needed with this breed if they are to ever be accepted by the APA.

So, yes, I think they are blue laced reds, but they need work. I do not know that breeder you mentioned, so I cant comment there.

6. Chickndaddy

Jul 26, 2007
    East Texas
    McKinney and Govero are a hatchery that liquidated several years ago. Or so I've been told. I got out of chickens for a while (still don't have any, but have renewed my interest in them) and that happened before I came back. I can't find any information on them. But they had nice if rather expensive birds in my opinion and from what I can remember. If memory serves correctly Murray McMurray bought McKinney and Govero's stock of BLRW and that is how the hatchery got the birds they are selling now.

7. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I think the one darker hen looks alittle too gold. McKinney and Govero said on their site that they crossed their original BLR's with gold laced and silver laced to improve the type, I think after they did one of those crossings that they got all those single combs that showed up. Overall they werent bad looking birds and they have their plusses and minuses but that comes with any project bird.
    From what I understand McMurray bought the BLR's and some other varieties from McKinney before they sold out.

8. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  9. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    It's hard to tell from the photos, but they appear to me that they are BLR, one with black lacing, the other with dark blue. You can get black laced red if you breed two blues, and you can get some blues that are very, very dark, but not so dark that you can't tell blue from black. (I call these "charcoal", even though it's not an official color). Also, the lacing on the left one appears too broad, and the roo on the right appears to be "brassy". The brassiness would be the GLW influence. That said, I would not mistake these for being GLW. I suppose someone who had never seen one or the other before looking at these might think that, but apparently whoever you showed this photo to doesn't know what they're talking about.

I have a black laced red out of my stock, and having seen GLW, the color of the gold/red is what stands out the most. The only way you'd mistake a black laced red for a GLW is if the black laced red came from really poor BLR stock.

10. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    I believe what maybe more correct is that in countries where the Blue Laced Wyandotte is an accepted variety, only the blue laced version is approved. The splash and the black laced are not showable.

Lets face it only a real practiced eye could spot a black laced from a golden laced wyandotte. In my opinion a black laced is a golden laced that carries the blue gene.

As in many breeds, splashes are not an accepted variety for show.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by