Opinions on breeds.

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Anna_MN, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    I will be getting my new chicks in the mail on February 20th. I wanted to hear from some experienced owners of the breeds I will be receiving so I know what I’m getting into! I did as much research as I could before I placed my order but experience speaks volumes more than an article on different hatchery websites and online articles. I would like to know what the personalities, mannerisms, etc. were like of the breeds you owned. Thank you! [​IMG]

Cuckoo Maran
    Auraucana
    Black Star
    Red Star
    Golden Polish
    Buff Orpington

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Araucana - I'm assuming you're getting them from a hatchery so I'll let ya know like most, you're not getting the real thing, you're getting "Easter Eggers" which are often technically a mutt, and really do vary. Some even vary by hatchery, but most are generally friendly decent layers.

Black/Red Star - Generally friendly, but my last one I had was MEAN. Only hen I've ever had who was mean. But don't let that scare you off, most people have them and love them. They're egg laying machines, but warning, they won't last too long. Their super egg laying can get them into later years troubles like eggbound problems.

Gold Laced Polish - From hatcheries these really vary. Either they're tough, friendly buggers with super intelligence and foraging ability or weak, stupid, and flighty with hardly much meat on their bones.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Well, I can tell you the red stars are great layers, a hybrid breed and mine were pretty mild tempered, I have five Polish bantams, and they are a bit high strung, but funny and likeable, and the Buff Orps are just big, fluffy beauties, with a nice personality.

I do have some Marans as well, and the hens are large, and fairly docile.

I think you've picked a nice variety.

For the Araucana, I think you'll probably get Easter Eggers if you've ordered from a hatchery, and I love mine! Wonderful, beautiful birds, and great layers of those colored eggs. It will take them probably 25 weeks to begin laying though.....

Most of your breeds will talke longer than the average which is 20 weeks, with the exception of the red and black stars.....They might even start as early as 17 weeks.

Congrats and good luck to you!
    Sharon

4. Anna_MN

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    Thank you! I am probably most excited about my Orps and my Marans....or maybe my Polish. I am just excited for my new chickies! I knew my "ornamental" breeds would be laying later than the Stars- which was a risk I was willing to make. But I am glad to hear that it will probably only be 20 weeks rather than 30 like my boyfriend's mother told me [​IMG]
    Quote:

5. Anna_MN

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    Thank you for the info! It was very helpful. I am getting from a hatchery stince I am pretty new to this so I wasn't really sure what my best option would be. I have a gold star right now and she is the nicest little girl ever! She follows me around and I have only had her for 3 weeks. I hope my red and blacks will be like her!
    Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by