1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions on breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LRH97, Oct 22, 2014.

1. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Just got some new chicks from Murray McMurray this morning. I ordered Barred Rock, Silver Laced Wyandottes, and two new breeds for us Turkens (in love with them already!) and Blue Laced Red Wyandottes. I mistakenly checked "ok" to add subs if birds weren't available when we ordered, so now I'm iffy on whether or not we got all of our BLRW (we ordered five). All of the ones in question pretty much look like numbers 1 and 3, but a couple of them are lighter and darker than others. Number 1 is the lightest out of all of them. Its hard to see, but there's another darker one in pic 1 standing in the feeder. I think some of them look as though they have muffs and a beard, like in EEs. Do you think we got all BLRW or do you think there might be a few subs? Number 2 is our free rare chick, I believe. Any idea what he/she might be? Chicks in question are circled. All opinions are greatly appreciated!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Silver Spangled Hamburg for the mystery chick maybe? The BLRW will come in three colors, Splash/Blue/Black so different shades is normal, the legs don't look green, but those are darn big cheek puffs on those chicks... they usually will put on the packing list if they have substituted breeds...

1 person likes this.
  3. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    Thank you! It does say "subs ok" on the label, but it also says 5 Blue Laced Wyandottes, so I hope that's what I got! [​IMG]

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The mystery chick also looks like a Silver Spangled Hamburg to me. As for the other two chicks, I think that they are Easter Eggers. I just went and looked up photos of Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, and those two birds don't look much like BLRW. I suspect that they are subsitutes.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    #2 looks to be a Silver Spangled Hamburg. I think the other chicks are Easter Eggers, though--definitely not Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, since they have puffy cheeks/muffs. It appears that Easter Eggers were subbed in for your Wyandottes.

6. cicknmama

cicknmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Hi Everyone!
    This is my first post and I'm a newbie to chickens. I recently acquired to pullets from a family who couldn't keep them. I would love some help with breed and approximate age. Thanks![​IMG][/IMG]

7. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana
    Second picture didn't upload, here's the other one.[​IMG]

8. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    cickmama Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

Your girls both look like they may be Easter Eggers, (hatcheries sometimes sell them as Ameraucana)... they are mixes and they can lay any color egg but most lay blue/green eggs ... so if they do that you should know. They don't look quite ready to lay yet, so maybe around 4 months old.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013

Both birds are Easter Eggers. Easter Eggers are mixed breed chickens, usually with Ameraucana in their background, that lay colored eggs (blue, green, pink, brown, etc.). Easter Eggers can have many different features and be nearly any color, though most have a pea comb, bluish-green legs, and muffs/beard.

As for age of your new birds, that can be hard to tell. Are either of them laying? Just looking at them, I would say they are 4-6 months old.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  10. cicknmama

Sep 23, 2014
    Hardin, Montana

Thank you! Was hoping they might be a little older though. The brown pullet looks larger and her comb is more prominent. Can't wait to see the colored eggs :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by