Opinions on bulb wattage for homemade 'bators...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Three Cedars Silkies, May 20, 2008.

1. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    I put a 20 watt bulb in mine but I'm sure it probably doesn't matter if hooked to the thermostat.

Do you think that you would have better temp control with a lower wattage bulb being on longer or a higher wattage bulb turning on and off quicker...or does it matter?? [​IMG]

2. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    i dont think it will really matter what type of bulb you use
    pm msprissy she could tell you better than i could

3. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    when I made mine years ago I used a string of Christmas tree lights and controled the heat by turning one or two of them off or on...that was a high maintenance baitor:>) I didn't have a thermosthat to do it for me

4. bumblebeehillschickenfarm

bumblebeehillschickenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    maryland
    on my bator i made it out of an old fish carrier,foam it is kind of big 3ft.x2ft.x2ft. i started with a 20w bulb and it ran for 20 min. and never turned off. i kept going up till i had a 75w bulb. it will stay warm for 40 min. before turning on again. seems to work better that way. i also have a 2nd level rack on it also.

5. NoSpringChick

NoSpringChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    SE PA
    With the size of my bator....it's a syrofoam husky from Walmart...I went from a 25 watt to a 40 watt....The 40 watt works much better.

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Quote:Mine is too...I think I'll change to a 40 watt...thanks...

7. bandm

bandm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2008
    Cincinnati
    IMHO, I think that using a light bulb is a waste. Being the electronics technician that I am, I would suffice it to say that a heater would be more efficient and less likely yo burn out from the constant on-off situation. GQF Mfg sells the heater element replacements for the Hova-Bator. They are 25 watts you will need some kind of insulating standoff like the Heat Element Clips for it, but I would be more likely to use this than a bulb. If you don't think 25 watts is enough, then put two in parallel. [​IMG]
    Heater element: $11.50
    Clips: $2.25
    GQFMFG.COM
    bandm

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

60 watt bulb in both homemade bators. I do plan to change to a heating element, though, in my Fridge-a-Bator before the next time I use need it...after this current hatch.

9. bandm

bandm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2008
    Cincinnati
    For that size I would put the cabinet incubator element with a fan.

]GQFMFG.com

bandm

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Mine is a Dorm size fridge on its back so it opens like a chest freezer. Check out the link on my sig line for pics of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by