Opinions on bulb wattage for homemade 'bators...

Three Cedars Silkies

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
Gainesville, Fl.
I put a 20 watt bulb in mine but I'm sure it probably doesn't matter if hooked to the thermostat.

Do you think that you would have better temp control with a lower wattage bulb being on longer or a higher wattage bulb turning on and off quicker...or does it matter??
idunno.gif

when I made mine years ago I used a string of Christmas tree lights and controled the heat by turning one or two of them off or on...that was a high maintenance baitor:>) I didn't have a thermosthat to do it for me

on my bator i made it out of an old fish carrier,foam it is kind of big 3ft.x2ft.x2ft. i started with a 20w bulb and it ran for 20 min. and never turned off. i kept going up till i had a 75w bulb. it will stay warm for 40 min. before turning on again. seems to work better that way. i also have a 2nd level rack on it also.

IMHO, I think that using a light bulb is a waste. Being the electronics technician that I am, I would suffice it to say that a heater would be more efficient and less likely yo burn out from the constant on-off situation. GQF Mfg sells the heater element replacements for the Hova-Bator. They are 25 watts you will need some kind of insulating standoff like the Heat Element Clips for it, but I would be more likely to use this than a bulb. If you don't think 25 watts is enough, then put two in parallel.
smile.png

Heater element: $11.50
Clips: $2.25
GQFMFG.COM
bandm

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom