opinions on chick breeds?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by cityfarmer12, Mar 26, 2015.

1. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    These are some chicks from multiple orders (an trips to the feed store) that i am not sure of the breed. Any idea would be welcome. :)
    Chick #1 sorry for the bad pictures...this one came from murray mcmurray in a order of like 16 breeds...i ordered a RIR, do you think this is that? 3 weeks old
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Chick #2 this little adorable thing has me totally stumped...never seen a chick like him. He was at orchenlns in a bin labeled layers. Inside was also barred rocks, leghorns, and orpingtons (i think, thats what they looked like) and then this lone little guy. 2 weeks old
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Chick #3, another from mcmurray. could this be a speckled sussex hen? 3 weeks old
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Chick #4, a another feed store chick labeled fry pan...this is my little sisters chick, not sure, but maybe a jersey giant? 4 weeks old
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Chick #5 one from mcmurray, not sure. 3 weeks old
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Chick #6 a little random black on from mcmurray 3 weeks old

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!! sorry for the bad pictures...they are squirmy! Any advice on gender would be appreciated, though i know it is a bit early :)

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Yes, your photos are very blurry, so I cannot be certain on a couple....but here are my thoughts from photos presented

#1 Production Red *if black in wing feathers; Red Sexlink if only white trim...will be an excellent layer either way

#2 White Rock (they are very smudgy as chicks, then grow in white, legs should be yellow which I can't see)

#3 Your photos are so blurry and miscolored on this one that I can't say with any certainty other than if it were SS you should be getting white spots on its feathers, and I don't see that. Can't say what it is due to photo quality...don't think Welsummer as the head triangle isn't clear enough....Might be a Brown Leghorn....need better photo on that one...no wing spans just a good profile in clear lighting that is not blurry

#4 Possibly Jersey Giant...are the soles of the feet yellow? The other possibility is Australorp, but most places wouldn't label that as "fry pan" but rather layer...Jersey Giants get very large and big enough to eat so could be considered "fry pan" bird unless this was a mis-labeled chick (which happens).

#5 Another Production Red since it appears to be getting some black in the wing feathers...again having only white trim will indicate Red Sex Link

#6 Looks to be a Black Sex Link, another great layer, which I find has a bit more personality than the RSL's or PR's..they are very curious, friendly birds, and I have found the ones I get around here can go broody (unusual for a commercial breed).

My guesses from those photos
    LofMc

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with these guesses.

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Lady of McCamely's guesses on breed, too.

5. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Thanks!! sorry about the blurry photos...my camera sucks. #4 does have yellow feet, and #2 has yellow legs. Thanks again!!

6. Spangled

Spangled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2012
    Serenity Valley
    [​IMG]

As the other posted mentioned, this could be a White Plymouth Rock.

However, I had some White Orpingtons last spring that looked like this. I think in some lines/strains that the gray down is aspect of recessive white or maybe the silver gene. It's common. They turn all white.

A White Wyandotte can also have similar chick down. The comb of a White Plymouth Rock and White Orpington should be spiked (straight comb). The comb on a White Wyandotte chick should be smooth and low profile because they have rose combs.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  7. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    thanks!! how can i tell the difference between white plymouth rocks and white orpingtons? like when they are older. Thanks again!

8. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA

Rocks have yellow legs, Orrington have white.

9. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    great!! thanks for the info!

10. Dfwgolden

Dfwgolden Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2015
    1. RIR
    2. Not sure
    3 Ameraucana
    4. Australorp