Opinions on Copper Marans

kmlmgm

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 2, 2013
Hello! I am very new to chicken owning, but love it so far. I have 8 Red Sex Link and 6 Salmon Favorelle's. I am thinking of getting some young black Copper Marans. I live in a rural area with woods and grass for the hens, they run free during the day, have a shed that gets locked at night. I have them for eggs, but me and the kids are enjoying everything about them. I answered an ad for 10 Copper Marans, was wondering if these are good layers with a fairly docile temperament? We live on top of a big hill and it gets pretty cold here in the winter, we're in upstate NY. I would love to hear from anyone who has had Marans on their experiences, good or bad.

We've had them for a few years and find the hens to be fairly docile and friendly. My roosters have been a differently story. :) As far as laying, they're not leghorns. I have one that is a fairly regular layer, but may take a month off every now and then. Others were even more sporadic and seemed to take breaks from laying quite a bit. I feel they're beautiful dark eggs & pretty looks make up for it, though.

Back
Top Bottom