Opinions on dark brown layers

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by crazy hen quartet, Jan 18, 2009.

1. crazy hen quartet

crazy hen quartet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Chandler AZ
    I'm looking for opinions here.. I want to add a dark brown layer to my flock. I currently have two EEs, an AuLorp (who is in behavioral rehab ha ha) and a BR. They are in a large pen most of the time but also get to free range.

I want to add a bird that is curious, friendly and not flighty. Also, not inclined to go broody as I have no roosters.

What would you pick if you were choosing between the Welsumer, Barnevelder and Marans breeds?

2. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Welsummers are great I just have a few young pullets I have heard they lay well and don't go broody. Barnvelders in this country do not lay well at all and don't even lay dark eggs they are beautiful though. Marans are great I have two Cuckoo Hens and two blue and black copper pullets. I love them and they lay very large and nice eggs they may go broody though not sure.

Good Luck I love having a mixed egg basket,
    Henry

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

My Marans go broody, where my Welsummers never have. They're both nice breeds tho.

4. peckndirt

peckndirt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    I'd have to say the marans are the calmest at my house.They don't act all crazy when I go in to look eggs or clean up. The welsumers are nice but not as laid back as the marans.Penedesencas are down right wild acting if you get those,at least mine are.

5. Portia

Portia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    South Central PA
    My Welsummers lay beautiful dark brown eggs. Not chocolate like a marans, but a lovely chestnut color. They are only a little under a year, and I collect at least 5-7/7 eggs a week from each.
    I must, however, upset the applecart about their broodiness. Although a breed may not be predisposed to broodiness, any hen can go broody if their planets are in alignment. Right now I have a broody Welsummer that hatched out 6 chicks. She is a phenomenal mama hen, her chicks are about 7 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by