Opinions on fiber jewelry price?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by itsy, Jan 22, 2012.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I've started making fiber jewelry :) I'm doing a craft show soon and will be selling this "line" with my handspun yarns, finished items, etc. What doesn't sell there will go into my Etsy shop. There are a variety of colors and styles, but they are all this "antique" looking metal. This set is my favorite and I may end up keeping it myself. I made the felt balls with hand dyed roving from different breeds of sheep.

What do you think I should ask for a price? This is a tough one for me! I know they aren't going to be a fortune, but I'm interested in your opinion.

Please excuse the photos. I don't have the correct bulbs for my lightbox so they aren't the proper colors yet. Also, the necklace is laying down so the fiber bead looks funny.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    They are very pretty, but I am partial to jewelry with birds on it.
    I have more owl earrings than any other kind of earring...and a few sparrows & swallows... I am not sure why. It is certainly not intentional.

I think they would sell very well.
    I think you could get $15-20 for each item, or $30+ for the set. That would be more than reasonable. IMHO.
    But, I never know what to charge folks for my handmade items and I know they are getting a better deal than is necessary. So, I may not be the best person to advise on these matters.

I'll be keeping an eye on your Etsy page now though... BIRD EARRINGS!

3. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Thanks so much for your post!

I was thinking even less for them - like $8-9 for the earrings....more for the necklace because the supplies cost me a little more. I don't want to sell it too short, though. I've seen more fiber jewelry out there that's priced much higher than I would have thought it should be priced for....but I wonder if people buy it.

I was thinking of making a few with gemstones on the bottom instead of fiber just to appeal to a larger crowd.

The birds call to me as well.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  4. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I think at $9 they would sell like hot cakes. I also think that handmade stuff is better to sell for less money if you can make a lot of them.
    If you can make them fast enough that $8-$9 for earrings is do-able, I am sure you'll sell lots of them.

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

pricing all depends on where you would be selling

in a boutique you could get 25 or 30

at a craft fair or show you would be better off under 10

at a summer festival ..even less

you have to keep in mind the venue and the customers.. someone who is treating themselves or buying as a gift will be tempted to spend more than a family who is dragging around a bunch of kids who are fussing to go on rides or want something to snack on

since you mentioned a craft show I would stick with them being under 10 since you will more than likely have competition. Also keep in mind that it depends on how popular that particular show is and if anything else is going to be going on in town the same days that will take away potential customers.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  6. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Thanks so much for the feedback, guys! :)

This is going to be a smallish show that's in a high-end area. It's hosted by a very well known bakery in these parts. As far as I know, I'm the only fiber person there so far.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by