Opinions on gender? 4 wk old Australorps.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MistyLuci, Mar 27, 2016.

1. MistyLuci

MistyLuci Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2016
    My two Australorp chicks are 4 weeks old now and one is definitely a roo. Not sure about the second chick though. I'm thinking maybe 2 roos because I've seen them jump at each other play fighting (do pullets do that?) My first chick raising experience so it's all new to me :)

I got a bunch of photos today when we took them out into the sun run for a play, so thought I might as well see what other people think!

Cheepy Chicken 1 is the one that has got to be a roo. He's in the back in all the following photos. Cheepy Chicken 2 is the one that has me guessing still.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And in these photos Cheepy Chicken 1 is the one on the right;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interested to see what other people think :) Another couple of weeks and hopefully I'll know for sure!

Just have to add this one last pic of Cheepy Chicken 1 because it's adorable :)
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. shanadienne

shanadienne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2013
    Massachusetts, USA
    Pullets do spar with each other, but I think you've got two boys there.

3. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    They are to young to say for sure but my guess right now is cockerels. I would post again when they are older to confirm.

4. NysiaAnera

NysiaAnera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2015
    Malad City, ID
    Pullets definitely do "fight" like that! It is one of the cutest things to me, always gets me laughing. They have these little disputes sometimes. I just attribute it to them working out the pecking order.

5. MistyLuci

Mar 19, 2016
    Thank you everyone :) Interesting about pullets sparring like that. These two are getting leggier by the day, so I think you are all right and I have two boys!

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Your welcome :).

7. MistyLuci

Mar 19, 2016
    [​IMG]
    Cheepy Chicken 1 and Cheepy Chicken 2 have officially been renamed Batman and Robin by my son haha. I hope they can live together peacefully as bachelors!

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  8. shanadienne

shanadienne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2013
    Massachusetts, USA
    Fair warning, although you may get lucky and have two friendly roosters, you might end up with a pair of roosters living an unwanted alternative lifestyle.

9. MistyLuci

Mar 19, 2016
    Thanks :) I'll just have to wait and see. I have other options if it doesnt work out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by