Opinions on good inexpensive egg candlers or flashlights?

bellah1

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2012
Western Washington
I am looking to get a somewhat cheap but decent candler or new flashlight and wanted some opinions on good ones. Help me out because there are a lot out there. Or are the any brands of flashlights I should buy instead?

What I did recently was go into Tractor Supply and simply pick up a small flashlight with the highest amount of lumens, and it works fantastically, even on my darker eggs. I picked up one, a little generic thing, with 188 lumens, and boy is that sucker bright! It just about blinds you for a solid minute of you direct the beam into your eyes on accident. I think if you go for the highest lumens you can find, you should be okay. My little thing was only eight dollars.

What I did recently was go into Tractor Supply and simply pick up a small flashlight with the highest amount of lumens, and it works fantastically, even on my darker eggs. I picked up one, a little generic thing, with 188 lumens, and boy is that sucker bright! It just about blinds you for a solid minute of you direct the beam into your eyes on accident. I think if you go for the highest lumens you can find, you should be okay. My little thing was only eight dollars.
That's exactly what I'm looking for! Do u think Del's carries flashlights like that? Ok at the risk of sounding like an idiot.....what are lumens though?

Well, to get all sciencey: The SI unit of luminous flux, equal to the amount of light emitted per second in a unit solid angle of one steradian from a uniform source of one candela

Pretty much it just means the more lumens, the brighter the flashlight :lol: I would say just poke around in the flashlight section at Del's and check the lumens for each flashlight; it should be written on the package. It'll say stuff like 50 lumens or 100 lumens. Like on this one. see how in the top right corner it says 200 lumens?

Last edited:
Thank you so much, you've really helped me out!
thumbsup.gif

I just use one of my small LED flashlights. Take a sheet of paper about 1 1/2 inches wide x 5 inches long and wrap it around the top of the flashlight and tape it so it stays wrapped. Just make sure its a small lens.. about the size of a quarter. Because it's an LED, I can see through very dark eggs too. You can get LED flashlights pretty cheap, and they outshine alot of "candlers" because they dont have LED's in them sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom