Opinions on hen saddles/chicken aprons?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by matilda.b., Sep 18, 2011.

1. matilda.b.

matilda.b. Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    Been seeing a lot of problems with hens loosing the feathers on their backs due to active roosters. Does anyone have any experience with a hen saddles or chicken aprons? What are your opinions? Any good brands? Any side affects or problems? What can I do about a rooster who gets his tail plucked out? Thanks!

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I've made saddles myself. I think they're wonderful!! They save the hens from being plucked completely bare. I've seen some birds that don't have a single feather back there and they get sunburned. I think it's cruel to NOT provide something for those birds. Here's a pic of one I made. I modified the shape a little from this link: http://backtobasicliving.com/blog/make-a-chicken-saddle/ I found that I had to use stronger snaps other than just what I could hand sew on. The snaps were pricey, and the tool to apply them wasn't cheap either (luckily I got it half off with a coupon). My point, it's probably cheaper to buy one here on BYC, especially if you only need one or two.
    You sure your rooster is getting his tail feathers plucked? He couldn't just be molting?
    [​IMG]

3. Peachesbabychick

Peachesbabychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Those are just precious!

4. matilda.b.

matilda.b. Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2011
    Thanks for the help! What kind of straps do you use? And yes, the rooster's tail is being plucked out-- he's not just molting. Any advice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by