1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions on how crazy this idea is

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kangasox, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Kangasox

Kangasox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    We have one drake too many, a beautiful Cayuga, and I've exhausted my avenues of getting rid of him. And I'm not eating him [​IMG]. An acquaintance has offered to take him to her mother, who has raised ducks in the past and lives in a duck-friendly place. However, besides visiting Mallards, he'd be alone. Here comes the crazy part. Would it be a possibility to get another Cayuga drake (go figure, lots on Craigslist), introduce them to each other away from the rest of my flock, and send them to this woman together? Would it work and would they be happy?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It all depends upon the temperament of the drakes involved. Some all drake flocks get along fine. At other times one drake may dominate and attempt to mate the less strong drake.

3. Vosh Sahaal

Vosh Sahaal Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2015
    The trick to this is called light neutering. You keep them to a short day long night cycle using whatever means you must. This reduces hormones and helps them find a good balance. I'm frame heavy myself right now. Course I'm about to fill the freezer with the ones I cull and most aren't old enough to be a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by