opinions on iams dog food

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Johnn, Oct 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnn

Johnn Crowing

Sep 5, 2011
    my friend says i should keep my dog on iams as ive wanted to change it she says it is the best dog food around? true or not?

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    Its good dog food yes. but its your choice. its kinda pricey imo. i dont buy it.

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Iams is the only food we feed to our dogs and cats. I've got a 13 year old minpin that has never eaten anything but Iams and she has never been to the vet for anything but grooming and shots.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have read so many bags of dogfood, it's funny (OCD). I feel the best dog food is BLUE. I know you can get it at petsmart. If you read the bag for ingredients, you'll see why. My dogs love the salmon and sweet potatoe. Read bags and you'll see which brands are mostly cereal, including Iams.

5. Fawkes

Fawkes Songster

May 8, 2011
    Go on petflow and read the ingredients. Compare the ingredients of good brands like Taste of the Wild, Blue Buffalo, and Orijen with other brands.

6. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Songster

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    No. It is not the best. I (and many others) have already told you this over and over on multiple threads in just the last few days. I have given you many links to food that is much better.

7. Squishy

Squishy Songster

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    Alot of people here have already given you their opinions on this food in the past. Iams is NOT good dog food! But it's your choice!

If you want to be able to verify the quality of a dog food yourself... check the label. The ingredients are listed in order of quantity... so if that food says "Chicken" as the first ingredient, it has more chicken than any other ingredient. If it says "Corn".. then you have a problem. In fact, a dog food should not have corn or any other grains in it, as so many dogs are allergic to grains, or can become so from eating it! Not to mention the lack of nutritional value, dogs were not made to eat grains.
    If that first ingredient is "Chicken by-product meal" that is also not a good thing. That is ground up beaks and feet and other near in-edible parts of the animal.. it's not meat.

And please stop asking the same questions repetitively!

8. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Songster

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:I already told him to read the label and even gave him a link to help him learn how to do that. I am not sure why he won't just learn this stuff....it's not hard!! I hope he doesn't tell you to shut up because you are telling him this stuff again, like he did to me on his dewormer thread. Very rude way to treat people who are attempting to help!!

9. Johnn

Johnn Crowing

Sep 5, 2011
    i dont see why u commented on this one to? im gratyeful for your help but just reading stuff on the internet cant make you an exspert

10. carolinagirl58

carolinagirl58 Songster

Mar 30, 2011
    Lugoff, SC
    Quote:Reseaching stuff on the internet might not make you an expert, but years and years of experience with dogs certainly can. I have been caring for dogs for over 40 years. I think that qualifies me to offer advise, don't you? Researching stuff on the internet is a great way to educate yourself though, which is why I gave you all of those links yesterday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by