Opinion's on Incubators

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pepperluvsmee, Mar 4, 2008.

1. pepperluvsmee

pepperluvsmee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Seven Valleys, Pa
    For small amounts of eggs, which type and brand of incubator do you prefer..is it worth the money?
    Does anyone have a used one they would consider "loaning" me until after hatching season? Or possibly to buy?
    I have been eyeing s a few but am not sure which would be a "better buy". I have a reg. still air incubator and want to upgrade.
    -Theresa [​IMG]
  2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    if mine was empty I would let you borrow mine. its a brower top hatch. I used it for the first time the month before last month and had a 95-98% hatch rate. I have hatched before in a GQF and I had a 50% hatch rate. you can buy the GQF genesis. I heard some good things about it
  3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Save your money and buy yourself a Hovabator 1588 from GQF with a turner . It is by far one of the best small hobby incubators on the market. Everything is preset on it. Plug it in, add water, eggs and a thermometer/hydrometer. it takes out the guess work. I have 3 and 3 homemade ones. They are reliable. I only buy direct from the manufacturer because they will work with you if you have a problem.
  4. User48

User48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2007
    I've been happy with both my Brower Top Hatch & my Lyon/Marsh with auto turner. The Brower can be loud & there's a constant flashing light, which can be annoying, but we keep it in the tub in a bathroom that isn't used much, so the sounds/lights are a non-issue. The Lyon was quite a bit more expensive & can't fit nearly as many eggs.

In my dreams, I'd love to get a cabinet incubator like a Sportsman or, better still, a Dickie, but right now I can't really justify it since the 2 I have - plus a third "extra" - meet my needs.

5. pepperluvsmee

pepperluvsmee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Seven Valleys, Pa
    Thanks!! I have more research ta doooodle E Doo!
    Please add to the convo if you have any opinions on bators!
  6. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    I have to add I absolutely love my hovabator Genesis and would buy another in a heartbeat.
  7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I agree with MissPRissy......get a 1588. I've 2 of them plus a 1590 which is the older version. They work well for me.
  8. ebonykawai

ebonykawai Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Just got mine today and it is the easiest thing in the world. It's holding temp and humidity steady on my trial run. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by