opinions on marans gender

chicken pickin

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 3, 2012
I have 4 marans chicks and they are still young at 2 weeks 5 days. I know way to young to tell for sure But I thought I would share some pictures of my cute little chicks and see what you all thought. I know for sure I have 1 roo Ill post him first.

#1 Cooper FBCM

#2 Angel FBCM shes in the back of cooper in the last pic also

angel to the right

#3 Twinkle Blue Marans(to the right in the last pic also)

#4 Scout Splash Marans

Last edited:
The ones you are questioning look like pullets at this point, but that can change
smile.png
Thanks Im hoping they are
fl.gif
If not Ill just have to get more chicks in the spring
big_smile.png

Any other opinions? Also does anyone else with a splash chick have pics of how they feather out. Ive been looking up pics but all the splash chicks I find seem to be pretty white with a "splash" of blues and blacks. My splash chick has tons of dark feathers. I was just curious what she/he will look like grown.

Thanks Im hoping they are :fl  If not Ill just have to get more chicks in the spring:D

Any other opinions? Also does anyone else with a splash chick have pics of how they feather out. Ive been looking up pics but all the splash chicks I find seem to be pretty white with a "splash" of blues and blacks. My splash chick has tons of dark feathers. I was just curious what she/he will look like grown.
Your splash doesn't look splash to me. Too much black.

Splash should look the same in all breeds.

Here is a splash marans chick from feather site. Also - I don't know why, but some people insist on calling it blue splash. I've been instructed that it doesn't exist. There is just splash.

So if not splash than what color is it turning into? Its wing feathers are coming in white, blue and black(lots of black). I can get more pics if needed. I was told by the woman I bought them from that the chicks I have were hatched from a batched of marans eggs that were from a BYC members. Charm1704.

So if not splash than what color is it turning into? Its wing feathers are coming in white, blue and black(lots of black). I can get more pics if needed. I was told by the woman I bought them from that the chicks I have were hatched from a batched of marans eggs that were from a BYC members. Charm1704.
Splash is 2 copies of the blue gene.

She is either blue, black or splash.

Blue X Blue = 50% Blue, 25% Black, 25% Splash
Blue X Black = 50% Blue, 50% Black
Blue X Splash = 50% Blue, 50% Splash
Black X Black = 100% Black
Black X Splash = 100% Blue
Splash X Splash = 100% Splash * breeding this way will dilute your splashes, and they will fade more with each subsequent breeding.

Back
Top Bottom