opinions on metal swingsets made these days (sturdiness/durability)?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by patandchickens, May 11, 2009.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I've finally convinced DH that it would not be the end of the world to get the kids a cheap swingset (my parents want to pitch in as a joint birthday present to them).

I grew up with a metal swingset that is probably still serving useful duty in somebody's backyard somewhere... but they don't make things like they used to and I fear that metal swingsets may have been one of the victims. (Especially since, at least around here, wooden ones have been so much in vogue the last ten years or so).

Those of you who have metal swingsets bought in the last 5 years or so, how do you like them? How long do you think they'll hold up, both to rust and to being torqued around and abused by active kids?

Thanks for ALL opinions [​IMG],

Pat

2. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    I was wondering the same thing. I can't afford a good wooden set, but those metal ones seems SO flimsy these days. I was afraid it would last one summer at best.

So does anyone have one??

3. beak

beak On vacation

Dec 12, 2008
    Kiowa, Colorado
    They're good for a few years. We had one about 8 years ago. The ladders and slides are cheap to the point of being dangerous. The actual swngs are okay. Just don't go over 100 lbs or so per seat.

4. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    I'm living in my childhood home and I don't think ours will ever come down..it's cemented in. It is made with thick and heavy duty stuff--like playground equipt. No rust and not even a 300 lb man would be able to put a dent in it. So we're fortunate...don't have a slide though...just 2 swings and 1 bar and a set of rings. I bought one of those plastic doo hickies with a slide...mostly good for tiny tots rather then my 7 year old.

I always thought those other metal ones looked too flimsy and a little bit dangerous but they would probably work for a couple years or more maybe...depending on how rough and tumble your kids are. It would keep them busy at least.

me,
    g

5. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

we bought DD a metal swing set when she was 2 years old - we just got rid of it 2 years ago when she was 16 [​IMG] ; it went through our DS as well for a while, but it did rust and the bees tend to like getting into the small places. [​IMG] I think we paid around $200 for it back in 1992 when we got it. We ended up giving it away..it wasnt in bad shape, just needed repainting and new "feet".

That being said - if we had to do it again (our son is 10 now)... and we had the money, I'd of opted for the wooden set over the metal one any day of the week. With the metal one we had, the kids couldnt play on it hard at all (and kids do like to play hard...) and any more than 2 kids and the thing would flip over. You couldnt swing very high and the slide was always hot (it was all metal with plastic seats and see-saw type glider). The older they got, the harder it was to play on.

If you have alot of kids coming to your house or your kids have a ways to go and can play for a while and you can afford it, look for used wooden play sets. You can always make the $$ back on them when you sell them vs. the metal ones.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  6. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I think what they sell now is too flimsy if you want to keep it any lenghth of time, we bought ours when first born was (maybe 5) he is now 13 and it has been gone at least 2 years. the 2 seater thing broke, the chains (enclosed in plastic so you couldnt see the rust) were ready to break, the slide snapped in half. I dont think my kids were abusive too it, it just didnt seem made to be left outside, might still be here if I had assembled it in the living room. Granparents bought it, so I assembled it and let the kids play. I want to say it was around 200, but that may be wrong. The wooden ones will definately outlast them, and when the kids are through swinging you can always hang a porchswing, and enjoy it yourself.

7. HennysMom

Pat..

you could also just make it yourself using an A-Frame construction, buy 2 swings from Lowes (we have one for DS in our tree [​IMG]) and then add a slide to the side or even a rockwall.

It will be much cheaper if you build it yourself. Look online for plans, they're out there - and many are free! You will need a good sized drill bit, carriage bolts, eye and S hooks, but you could probably get away with 2 swings (no hard plastic seats, but PVC type soft) and heavy duty coated non-pinching chains, slide, Tent/rockwall for around $400.

our swing thats attached to our tree on the sideyard (look at my BYC page..you'll see it) was about $35.00 for everything including the heavy duty hooks to attach it to the tree limb - and it holds up to 300 lbs.

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  8. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    you could probably slap one together (double swing ) for 100.00 or so. when the kids are done with it turn it into an A frame chicken run.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Yeah, I know... but if I use cedar rather than p/t (and I probably would) it ends up more expensive... plus I have SO no time to build extra things this year (I have gutters to replace, another roofed run to build, the back deck to rebuild, LOTS of fence lines to be rebuilt including digging 3.5' postholes by hand, two frostfree hydrants to dig up and repair, and need to attempt to dig under the heaved-up end of the great big horse shed to try to reset and repair it)

So there is great appeal to the idea of just going out and writing a check for a coupla hundred dollars, setting a few anchors or bags of postmix in the ground, and calling it good [​IMG]

Pat

10. HennysMom

Quote:Yeah, I know... but if I use cedar rather than p/t (and I probably would) it ends up more expensive... plus I have SO no time to build extra things this year (I have gutters to replace, another roofed run to build, the back deck to rebuild, LOTS of fence lines to be rebuilt including digging 3.5' postholes by hand, two frostfree hydrants to dig up and repair, and need to attempt to dig under the heaved-up end of the great big horse shed to try to reset and repair it)

So there is great appeal to the idea of just going out and writing a check for a coupla hundred dollars, setting a few anchors or bags of postmix in the ground, and calling it good [​IMG]

Pat

yep... grab the checkbook.. LOL

MUCH easier... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by