Opinions on my buff silkies? How do these guys look?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Apomerantz, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Apomerantz

Apomerantz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Washington
    I have 3 buff silkies that I would like to get some outside knowledgeable opinions on. I would like to maybe start a small buff breeding program, do these silkies look good enough to start with? Also, is it asking for problems showing un-vaccinated chickens? They are around 12-14 weeks (I can't remember right off the top of my head).

Lafawnzo my roo (previously Lafawnda until he started crowing!). He is a BIG boy, very heavy! But SUCH a sweetheart!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He feet
    [​IMG]

Chocolate my pullet. She is my fancy little girl! Such a cutie!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Charlie the little one. I THINK Charlie is a pullet, but I am not sure yet. She doesn't act like either of my roos.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance!
    Amy

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  2. Apomerantz

Apr 26, 2010
    Washington
    Anybody?

3. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I know NOTHING...and I mean NOTHING about silkies, much less buff silkies, but to my untrained eye, from seeing pictures of show quality buff silkies, it seems like your colors are incorrect. I may be totally wrong, but yours dont appear solid buff, they seem mottled. Im sure someone who knows something will answer soon. Just be patient.

4. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm also not an expert in any way, shape, or form, but I think the buff is too faded and I see some grey in them, which, I think, they shouldn't have. Yes, be patient. There are several awesome breeders on here who deal with Buff Silkies and will give aid.

5. Apomerantz

Apr 26, 2010
    Washington
    Yay, some responses [​IMG] They haven't molted yet, and the lady had them seperated by color when I picked up my hatching eggs, so I am hoping a good molt will take care of any color problems. But Charlie is a very light buff, is that a problem? But they do look different depending on the lighting. This is Chocolate in a different light, she looks more solid -
    [​IMG]

6. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

They are 12-14 weeks old. Don't get rid of them just yet. Usually they will bloom around 6-8 months old. Right now they are just starting to fill out, etc. I think they have around 3 molts before they get their adult coloring in. So most of that off color might molt out.

7. Apomerantz

Apr 26, 2010
    Washington
    Aside from the color problems (which I am hoping will molt off) how do they look? Body type, feathering, comb on the boy, crests, etc? I am new to chickens and these are my first ones.
    Amy

8. joe17

joe17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2009
    Louisiana
    This is quoted directly from Amy Piehl, a great silkie breeder! I never knew this.

I saw your post about the black tails in the buff silkies too. This is another issue where you need some actual breeding experience to realize why. You need those darker birds in there. Here's why: Buff is nothing more than a balancing act. Think of it like blonde hair in humans. The lighter blonde you get, the more albino the features (blue eyes, light eyebrows, white pasty skin). Same with buff chickens, the lighter you breed them down for you get back into the red combs, pale skin on feet, white undertone to the feather down. Well in silkies you want the dark mullberry to black skin. This is why the birds in your breeder pens are not necessarily your show birds. On other breeds this color is easy to correct because you aren't dealing with the black skin. Buff color in silkies has only been around for about 15 years and is far from perfect yet. Some people only worry about color and lose body type in the process. Always remember...build the barn then paint it.

Just breed it with a darker buff and you should get better offspring.​

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by