Opinions on my duck coop idea

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckncover, Oct 30, 2013.

1. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Okay so as some of you may know, I have 2 mallards I'm going to be keeping indoors. They are young yet but I'm building them a nice indoor coop. I have the bottom half of this made and they are living in it. However I feel that 2 adult ducks will need more space so I'm adding a second floor. This is what I have now basically.It's like a rabbit hutch with a run.

[​IMG]
    I want to add an upstairs to the top of the enclosed part and build the run higher so I can put some branches and maybe a platform. They will be able to get upstairs by a ramp that I will build. The upstairs will be their play area and will have their toys and a mirror. The downstairs part will be their sleeping area and will have blankets on the walls to make things cozy. The run will just be a free area were I'll throw their treats. The little red box area is where I will have their food and water with a wire bottom so it will fall through to the catching pan underneath to avoid a bedding mess. Let me know what you guys think. This will be for two small ducks.

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Very nice. 1 question, will they be able to go outside too for fresh air and sunshine which is a more natural environment for ducks? Is this just for night time and when you aren't able to have them out? you've done an excellent job though.

3. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Quote: It's going to be both. I'm not putting them outside until they are fully feathered. I have an outdoor enclosure I'm working on for them but they will be spending time inside too. I'm thinking they will be outside for a couple hours a day at first. Only because I don't want my neighbors to complain about the noise. I'm going to play it by ear. They will get plenty of sunshine and forging don't worry. I also just got a premade pond that I'm going to set up for them in the spring.

Does anyone know if ducks can break through plastic poultry netting? It's $15 at Lowes and it's a 50 ft roll. It will be for indoor use only. I am only worried about them getting out not anything else getting in because nothing in my house will bother them.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    They won't break through it, i have it here 5ft tall, that fences in the 1/3 of an acre that surrounds my main duck barn, and these are my big birds(the scovies) that said i will add the per usual caution it is for keeping birds in not preds out it is NOT pred proof .. mind you my almost 100lb lab bounced off it one day lol but i wouldn't trust it, my birds free range so this is only about keeping them in a certain area.

Are they drakes? or duck or you don't know yet. If they are drakes they won't make any noise, if they aren't or you have a pair that could be an issue Mallards are LOUD. I will say while i think your design is cute, be forewarned it will get messy real quick, ducks don't really make the neatest house guests and i speak from experience, i have brooded many a duck in this house, heck past spring/summer, i had chickens and ducks(2 sets!!) so i was a full house.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  5. duckncover

duckncover Duck Obsessed

Jan 17, 2009
    North Eastern PA
    Okay I will get that then. I don't need to keep anything out. The setup I have outside is all metal. I'm going to give it a shot with keeping them indoors! I had my Muscovy drake indoors for about a year but he got a little too rowdy to be in the house so my friend too him and put him with her female muscovies and he's doing great. They make a big mess but I still like them. The water and food setup I have now should really help with the mess. I actually ordered them duck diaper harnesses so when they are out of the cage they don't make a mess everywhere. It worked great with my boy Quacker. He didn't mind the diaper harness at all. He was getting to be aggressive with people besides me and is not good with dogs. He was full on trying to kill my 31 pound dog, haha. And my poor dog is such a good boy that he wasn't fighting back because he must have knew he would hurt him. I'm happy he found his flock though. He is the king duck at my friends farm. There is another male but he is a dwarf compared to Quacker. He must be of a different line of muscovies that are bigger.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I was thinking you had a Muscovy, turned out to be a drake huh, oh yes I can see where your coming from those drakes get way to personal when they have been hand raised, I know first hand, I kept ours but boy did it take a while for him to learn he was a duck, I got him 3 girls of his very own too. He doesn't come in the house any more either he finally realized he is a duck. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by