Opinions on my mixed hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pregomama, Sep 17, 2009.

1. pregomama

pregomama Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2009
    Here she is:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    She's from a neighbor who just let some roosters loose with her hens. I was thinking maybe RIR and Ameraucana . . .

One of my hens layed for the first time yesterday, and I suspected this hen, she's been acting like she was going to lay for a week or so, yesterdays' egg is the brown one, then today there was the little green egg. Do you think someone else started laying too, or could these both be from the same hen?

Yesterdays & todays eggs:
    [​IMG]

2. Dustin Biery

Dustin Biery Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2007
    Mulberry, Arkansas
    She is a very pretty bird. That is one of the fullest beards I think I have ever seen. The color variation in one hens egg is not that great. I think you have two layers.

3. pregomama

May 11, 2009
    Really??!! That is *so* exciting!!

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Pretty girl. The eggs are also shaped differently. You'll find you can tell your girls' eggs from each other; they are very consistant in what they lay.

That green egg should be hers. If she's an americauna/RIR cross (which is what she looks like) she could very well be an olive egger.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  5. pregomama

May 11, 2009
    Yay!! I'm so glad, I was really hoping to get a fun color from her . . . now to figure out who layed yesterday! LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by