Opinions on my Orpington cockerel?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PorkyPete, Aug 8, 2011.

1. PorkyPete

PorkyPete Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2011
    Christchurch, NZ
    I'm new to Orpingtons and my cockerel Pete was my first addition, He was given to me at 5 weeks old once they realized he was a roo, Hes now 6 months. Today I decided to see what poultry shows were coming up and found there is an A&P just up the road from me in October with dirt cheap entry fees and I thought I might give it a crack, So I'm looking for opinions on Pete to see if its worth taking him or not? I know absolutely nothing about poultry showing so be as harsh as you want [​IMG] I'm not expecting to win champ or anything and only want to go for fun but don't see a point in going if hes not good at all.
    Heres some photos taken today

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyogirl

Wyogirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Cody, WY
    He's gorgeous but of course I've never showed any , and I'm very new to this hen/rooster raising LOL
    Ayda

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Very cute, but I'm no expert. Why don't you look up an orpington breeders club, and they will list the breed standard.

At least I will bump your post so others will see it and critique your rooster.

I think he's very handsome

Sharon

4. PorkyPete

Apr 8, 2011
    Christchurch, NZ
    Thank you for the kind words [​IMG]

I've had a look round on the net for standards but I can't seem to find any, I think I'm looking in all the wrong places

5. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    I've seen worse. Go ahead & show him.

6. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    He's not half bad - but does his comb have a slight thumb print or is that just the lighting?

7. ginnyj

ginnyj Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Central Florida
    I'm new too so my opinion doesn't count...but I think he's very handsome. I have buff orpington cockerel that I have to rehome. Not allowed to have chickens so I don't want to advertise. I'm hiding my 6 hens behind my 6ft tall fence....
    I think orpingtons are pretty birds!

8. PorkyPete

Apr 8, 2011
    Christchurch, NZ
    Quote:Just went and had a look and he does, I never noticed that before [​IMG] Bummer

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Quote:Just went and had a look and he does, I never noticed that before [​IMG] Bummer

Not a big deal. It's at most a 2 point cut. Yours is minor & I wouldn't cut him more than a point. He's a good enough bird to withstand a 1 point cut.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  10. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I'm so jealous. I so want to get into showing but have no real quality stock to even begin and no shows near enough to bother if I did have something worth starting with. Your bird is phenomenal, in my humble opinion. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by