Opinions on new hen

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Red&Yellow, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Didn't know where to put this, hope y'all can give your opinions. This is our newest hen, in 'quarintine' (Did I spell that wrong?). A friend of a friend found her in their yard and grabbed her. Apparently, she laid an egg in their garage. We've had her for 4 days, and haven't seen an egg from her. BUT since I'm not confining her, she could be hiding them. Anyway, I want mostly your opinion on her age. She is verrry skinny, but even with a low body weight, I would think her bum fluff would be, well, fluffier. [​IMG] That, to me, has been the best indication of a laying hen. I beleive that she might have JUST started laying, and her cycle isn't down yet. Also, of all the red sex-links I've seen (oh, and I am right? She is a RSL?) they have rather HUGE combs, while hers is small. She dosen't have any inhibitions at all - either she was verrrry loved and spoiled, or she never had any human contact. She dosen't uderstand the 'Rule of Foot', or that one should move AWAY from feet, instead of towards. Finally, she has been 'debeaked', quite dramatically too. I've never had experience with debeaked birds, so this may be a stupid question, but, does it ever grow back?? Her face looks so ugly and she has such trouble eating greens - she couldn't eat a cucumber!! Thanks for reading, and answering in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And I really like this one, even though it's crooked:
    [​IMG]

The reason the above picture is crooked is below:
    [​IMG]

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

she looks like a RSL to me as well - but there quite a few mixes that look so similar - no telling [​IMG]

I do agree she looks young as well - and probably hasn't been laying long. I think give her a few more days and she'll start laying either way - younger or older. Probably stress of being in a new place with new animals around stressed her some as you know. [​IMG] I dont think the fluffiness has a bunch to do with it - I have had leghorns with very narrow not very fluffy butts that look like her booty and they laid every single darn day. [​IMG]

anyway she is gorgeous! If she was unpeople oriented she'd be very skittish - so I'm figuring she was probably handraised by someone as a backyard bird and later dumped or she flew the coop and wound up in friends' yard. who knows. [​IMG] She's very pretty though!

Good luck with her.

BTW love the cat - i love the pale colored cats like that heh whats his/her name? Reminds me of my black cat Sam (Sam I am as my 5 yr old dubbed him) and he's a mess. In my lap, in my face, god forbid I am writing and he's around he knocks my hand with a pencil, pen, camera, whatever. then he just wants loving and a nap in my lap. heh.

3. Darlasmum

Darlasmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    La Crescenta, CA
    I dont kno about but your chicken- but i DO recognize the cat nap posture! Too funny- thanks for sharing!

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

She's a cutie! Looks youngish to me, but I'm not an expert on these things.

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I would worm her to be one the safe side............ she's a cutie. And depending on how far back the beak was cut, it should grow back out in time.

6. Red&Yellow

Red&Yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2009
    Frederick County, MD
    Thanks for the replies all - I knew y'all'd love the cat. His name is Ambrose, because of his pretty amber eyes. Boy, does he love people! All over anybody who sits, stays still or even walks out the doors (he's an outside cat)

I'm pleased to hear her beak should grow back - Such a horrible practice! *sigh* But I'm glad we can give her a home. I have a feeling that, although she was well socialized with people, that she was kept in a cage. When I first got her, she had some difficulty with scratching, like she had never done it before. The instinct was plenty there, just needed some practice. And now she's gotten the hang of it. [​IMG]

Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by