1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions on our potential flock

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MamaP0912, Feb 4, 2013.

1. Yes, Silkies are a great addition

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. No, Silkies are not a good choice

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. MamaP0912

MamaP0912 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2013
    I have done quite a bit of research on breeds and we are definitely going to be getting barred rocks and wyandottes. 2 of each was the plan. But my husband and I both love the idea of having a silkie as well. Do they do well being the only silkie being with different breeds? We want the other 4 for they egg laying capabilities but the silkie would be more just for fun.

Also, we are turning an old dog house into the chicken coop. It is 4x3 feet and my husband will be building nesting boxes off of it to make it larger. For the majority of the day they will be in a 6x12 enclosure. Do you guys think this is enough space for 4-5 chickens?

Thank you so much! I am so excited to hear some advice! :)

~Amber

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] I don't have any Silkies myself, but I do know people who have some in a mixed flock and they don't have any problems. As for the coop run size: the recommended size is roughly 4 sqf per chicken in the coop and 10 sqf per chicken in the run, so they are not too crowded.

3. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    I have two Silkies in a mixed flock and they do just fine, they are still young, but so far no problems. They do tend to stay in the run while the others free range, but that's about the only difference [​IMG] I love my Silkies! You could also ask over on the Silkie thread to see what the folks over there think if you would like more input.

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I've never had silkies so I can't offer much advice. I recommend attempting to raise them from the same age as chicks - seems like everything gets along a little better that way. Good luck to you.

5. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC. Best of luck with your new chickens

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. When raised together, silkies generally do well in a flock with large birds. Have a plan B in mind if the larger birds do start picking on the silky.

7. MamaP0912

Feb 3, 2013
    Thank you everyone! Love all the support on here! So excited to get our chicks! I think we will get a silkie as well that way they will all be raised together. If we dont I think we will regret it!! :)

8. Dnetschke

Dnetschke Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    Berthoud, CO
    [​IMG]

9. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    You could get more than one, so they have a buddy [​IMG]

10. MamaP0912

Feb 3, 2013
    I wasnt sure if I needed to do that. The problem is that we want 4 "good layers" and we can only have 5 hens in city limits. Unfortunately!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by