Opinions on poop pit

LocoPollo

Songster
Aug 13, 2008
Ellijay, GA
Here is my new chicken coop in progress. I just put the roof rafters on today. I have a droppings pit planned for it and was wondering how people felt about those. Is it a good idea, or is something else better? I can still change it if i need to, but I thought having three 10 ft roosts over this pit would eliminate a lot of cleaning inside the coop. I can always clean out the pit once in a while.

Coop so far:

14434_chickencoop1.jpg

And close up of the pit:

14434_chickwncoop2.jpg

Lots of junk around I know! lol

what are yall's thoughts?

I will be using wire mesh to keep critters out, but was hoping it could be big enough for poop to fall through. Like 1"? would that work? As for drafts, the birds will be over open ground, but will be about 5 1/2 up inside the coop. Will that be drafty for them? I am not sure about the draft issue. What should I be considering in that regard?

Quote:
I think it might be drafty but you can do something else, if you boxed the out sid with removable or open and close doors for clean up that might be real practice.

Also I forgot to mention I will put wire mesh - half or quarter inch around the pit from the floor to the ground so no critters can get into the pit at all, much less into the coop.

Quote:
I think it might be drafty but you can do something else, if you boxed the out sid with removable or open and close doors for clean up that might be real practice.

I am planning to put in a door into the pit in the wall just above it, so I can clean it out from time to time. Maybe I should just put pressure treated plywood around the pit from the floor to the ground instead of wire mesh to eliminate both draft and critters? ( or do both! )

Quote:

I am planning to put in a door into the pit in the wall just above it, so I can clean it out from time to time. Maybe I should just put pressure treated plywood around the pit from the floor to the ground instead of wire mesh to eliminate both draft and critters? ( or do both! )

Actulley that's what I was trying to say,thank you.
I think that will work perfect.

Here is a couple of pictures of my coop with poop pit. My DH and I made the coop moveable, and so far it's been working.

4942_1115071643b.jpg

4942_image002.jpg

Last edited:
I have two coops, one with a poop pit and one without. The coop with the poop pit definitely stays cleaner. They poop the most when they are on the roosts. My roosts in my coop that doesn't have the poop pit definitely has more poop under the roosts than in the rest of the coop.

Back
Top Bottom