Opinions on raising chicks in coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Peeps298, May 17, 2011.

1. Peeps298

Peeps298 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I recently lost a Blackstar hen to a raccon and want to replace her with a new chick or two. Do you guys think with the nicer weather upon us i could raise the chicks in my coop with a heat lamp if I can secure an area for them that the current adult hens could not get at them?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

OH sure. Folks have brooded in barns since forever. Me included. Safety is number one, as always.

3. Peeps298

Peeps298 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    thank you.

4. Buff-Island-Australorp

Buff-Island-Australorp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Bixby, OK
    That's the best place to keep your chicks in my opinion. No dust and no extra smells to have to cover up if raised in your house.

5. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    If I had had a place to raise my chicks outside my house, I would have! Go for it!

6. Steph Martin

Steph Martin Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Nova Scotia Canada
    I raised mine out in a rickety shed with a heat lamp in a re-purposed rabbit cage. Didn't lose one.

7. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I would have if the coop had been finished in time! I'm using a brooder box outdoors (covered porch) and they seem perfectly happy with the arrangement. I'll never raise chicks indoors after seeing how much mess is involved. Even with 4 solid sides, there is a smell and I can't help but spill a little when I'm changing the litter. I sure as heck wouldn't want dirty litter on my floors [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by