Opinions on roost width?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by frog522, Jun 28, 2010.

1. frog522

frog522 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Hope fully can get a few opinions on with of roost bar (in the toe-heel) direction.

What is a recommended roost-bar width? Is 1.5 inches too narrow?For comfort, are the feet of the chickens supposed to wrap around the top of the roost bar a little or are there feet supposed to be completely flat?

Since the guys/gals at BYC have been awesomely helpful with questions and advice, I hope to share coops+run pics with you in a couple weeks! [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Usually it is recommended that the roosts be about 3.5" wide. A 2 X 4 on its side.

Imp

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Mine are 3.5 inches and 2 inches. They use the wider board more often, but that's probably equally due to it being the higher bar.

4. crysmom

crysmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2007
    I use a 2x4 with the 4 inch side up (but its really 3.5) I also had an assortment of birch branches up which the birds used but i had to take them down due to coop reconfiguration but they were using the 2x4 anyway

5. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Where do you live? In the winters, the chickens need to keep their toes warm to prevent frostbite. If you offer a 2x4 with the 4" side flat, this allows them to place their feet flat on the board and tuck them under their chest feathers. I've also heard that unlike parrots and many other birds, chickens do not grasp branches, etc when they sleep, so a flat board is much better for their feet.

6. frog522

frog522 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I live in Northern California. We don't have extreme hot or cold here. It's relatively sunny and cool here year round.

I'll get a 2x4 this weekend to make a roost...thanks BYC friends!

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hi- I use a 2x4 with the broad side up. This is so, when it's cold the ladies can sit on their feet and warm them.

8. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    If your roost will be 8' or less I recommend using landscaping timbers. They are cheaper than a 2 x 4 and much stronger [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by