Opinions on Salmon Faverolles, Blue Andalusians and Barred Rocks

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by simplysophie, Oct 26, 2011.

1. simplysophie

simplysophie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2011
    We are getting the above breeds on Halloween and I would like to get some feedback and stories you might have about these breeds. I have wanted salmon faverolles forever! Also, about what age do these start laying? Thank you in advance!

2. pipdzipdnreadytogo

pipdzipdnreadytogo Dorking Queen Premium Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Indiana
    My Coop
    Well, I don't have experience with Faverolles or Andalusians (though I would love to have some Andalusians some day), but I have barred rocks, and out of every breed I've owned, they are by far the friendliest, snuggliest birds! My girl Freema literally tugs at my pantlegs when she wants to sit on my lap, and they're all so friendly that when I sit down in the run, they all gather around me. They don't mind chicken hugs, especially Freema, who'll rest her beak on my shoulder when I hug her. Only one of them shys away from my hand when I reach out to pet her; the rest will let me rub their bellies and wings, and when I'm holding them they let me stroke their heads behind their combs. When they were chicks, they climbed all over my arms whenever I gave them a chance to. They're just great birds!

As far as egg laying, I got my first egg from one of my barred girls (Diana) at about 22 weeks old. I've heard that 24 weeks (6 months) is a better estimate for them, though.

Good luck with your new babies, and enjoy them while they're that age--they grow up fast! [​IMG]

3. Miyashi

Miyashi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Gaylord, MI
    Check out Derperella. You can learn alllllllllllllll about Salmon Faverolles.
    xD
    She's awesome.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    All three of those breeds, if you got them from hatchery stock, will lay around the same time. Though individual birds may vary.

Barred Rocks, well, they're common and popular. They're generally good layers, sweet birds, etc etc. Ours were nice, but, I've moved more to rare and interesting chickens since I had them.

Salmon Faverolles
    are awesome, especially good quality ones, and they're very calm, laid-back, and sweet. Not to mention rare and beautiful. Never personally owned any though, but always hear good things of them.

Blue Andalusians
    are often known to be slightly skittish like most Mediterranean breeds, however, my opinion on them is that they're wonderful, beautiful birds IF from good stock. Personally I think hatchery-based ones just look like a skinny gray chicken [​IMG] but show birds are amazing, with their deeply contrasted black lacing over each feather. . . . When I first got into chickens I feel deeply in love with the illustrations shown to me, then was really disappointed with what I saw in real life. Then I was satisfied again when I saw photos of show-bred ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by