Opinions on sudden deaths

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by darin367, Mar 28, 2012.

1. darin367

darin367 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Shelton, Wa.
    i've never had a problem with sickness or disease and hope i never will.... but an aquantance of mine that i'm suppose to be giving some roosters to later this week is having a problem..... 2 weeks ago he found a hen dead in the coop, no trauma.. today he tells me he watched a hen, walk, fall over, get up walk fall over, a few times, then died....... so somethings goin on and i don't want to give him roosters if their gonna get diseased...... what can i tell him to look for and the cure........... his hens are mutts, 1-2 yrs old.......

2. feathers_3

feathers_3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2011
    Eastern NC
    If they are free range they may have gotten into something. I know this seems like a no brainer but if their water or coop is not clean they can become sick and die. i have never heard of a chicken falling over dead like that though.

3. fancyfeathers38

fancyfeathers38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    Australia.
    I had a hen die suddenly like what happened to your friend's hen. One minute she was fine and the next she couldn't seem to use her legs and died abot 10 seconds later. I never found out what she had.

What are the conditions that the birds live in like? Has it been overly hot lately? Just wild gueses here.Sorry I can't help any further.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by