Opinions on switching protein % at this stage of the game....

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by itsy, Aug 8, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    What I have: 13 Red Broilers from Ideal
    Arrived: Thursday, June 16, 2011.

What I have fed:

25lbs Nature's Best Organic 20%
    Southern States "Sporting Bird Flight Developer" also known as by my feed store to be "Poultry Game Starter Unmedicated" Crumbles. 50lb bag. 22% protein.
    Southern States "Sporting Bird Flight Developer" also known as by my feed store to be "Poultry Game Starter Unmedicated" Crumbles. 50lb bag. 22% protein.

I went back to the feed store to purchase another bag of the last batch and there was some confusion at the register. I ended up with what I wanted from the start, which they said didn't exist, even after I toured their warehouse because I was irritated with all of my feed purchase mixups. There was also an incident where they accidentally gave me a bag of medicated feed and I came back to find out they put medicated feed in where the game starter should go....a no no. I understand that mistakes happen, but for me - it's one mistake after the other. My bf tells me I should just let it go and that's how they are there - but it irritates me when I ask for something specific and they tell me they don't have it. I tried being proactive and going online to see what they had in stock and they don't put it online - and then I went and talked to the manager, who didn't help much either. The man today said they probably told me they didn't have it because they wouldn't have recommended it for my birds. I told him that I didn't care what THEY would recommend - I was feeding my broiler birds a high protein feed for a reason!! ARGH.

Back to the question on hand:

What are your feelings on me switiching to a 28% unmedicated feed at this point? What will it do to the meat to go from a 22% to a 28% at this age of the bird? They are lighter than I'd like them to be but still growing. The heat has been an issue.

2. Roccomanchickens

Roccomanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Carroll, IA
    I also have been dealing with the heat the past month while raising cornish x. I lost 12 at about 5 weeks to the heat with 6 dying that I had to process unexpectedly. I was feeding medicated feed, so now I will be eating chicken treated with medication. I am feeding unmedicated feed for the rest of the growout because the heat is relentless. Something to consider as well as the protein content.

3. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I haven't fed them medicated feed at all.

I'm sorry to hear that you've lost some to the heat! It's been a difficult summer for sure.

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Does any of your Organic feed use any animal protien in it's formula ??

5. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    You can switch to that, but it's not going to make them grow any faster. Higher protein does not mean faster growth. Chickens can't utilize that much protein. That is why most higher level feeds are labled for turkeys or gamebirds, as they need it and are able to utilize that extra protein. At almost 8 weeks old, you should be looking to lower the protein, not increase it.

6. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Al - I'm not certain. I can try to find out for you - I only purchased it initially because they told me that they didn't carry unmedicated high protein. [​IMG]

You can switch to that, but it's not going to make them grow any faster. Higher protein does not mean faster growth. Chickens can't utilize that much protein. That is why most higher level feeds are labled for turkeys or gamebirds, as they need it and are able to utilize that extra protein. At almost 8 weeks old, you should be looking to lower the protein, not increase it.

Mr. BigRed.... What happens to the meat if protein is increased at this stage? If it doesn't mean faster growth - does it mean bigger growth? Forgive the newbie questions [​IMG] What's the objective in lowering the protein as the bird ages?

If I feed this food and they aren't using all of the protein - aren't they just pooping out the extra? It wouldn't do anything bad, correct?

Thanks very much for your help!​

7. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:Mr. BigRed.... What happens to the meat if protein is increased at this stage? If it doesn't mean faster growth - does it mean bigger growth? Forgive the newbie questions [​IMG] What's the objective in lowering the protein as the bird ages?

If I feed this food and they aren't using all of the protein - aren't they just pooping out the extra? It wouldn't do anything bad, correct?

Thanks very much for your help!

It will not hurt the meat. It will result in less intermuscular fat. And yes, they will just poop out the extra. Higher protein feeds offers the potential for bigger growth if the animal is able to use it. The objective of lowering the protein is to save some money and put some fat within the muscle, making the cooked product jucier.

8. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:The Amino Acid requirement decreases as an animal ages due to the deceased protein deposition rate. The drop in Amino Acid concentration simply matches what the chicken needs.

Over feed protein won't 'hurt' the chickens but it will reduce the feed conversion rate since the excess proten must be metabolized into uric acid for excretion in the feces.

Jim

9. itsy

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Would a smarter solution be to mix this food partially with my layer rations? I have the layers on a 15% mash. Granted - it's higher in calcium.....

I could do a third of that to two thirds the new game bird feed.....

10. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Quote:What are your options? 22% and 28% are both too high for 8 week old birds. I wouldn't recommend layer feed at all, I use a 16% chick grower on mine from week two - till processing. Honestly those higher protein diets are worthless, even for turkeys. Our turkeys get the same feed as the chickens, however they are fed a 22% for 6 weeks instead of just two. After that, everything from the pigs to the turkeys get 16% protein. I would look around for a low protein chick grower. Find yourself a good feed mill, who actually mills the feed on site.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by